Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners July 29, 2020

lew

Eh I'm addicted to turning and tools myself LOL.  Nice post @lew  I've been contemplating REALLY contemplating on ditching the wen bench tops and just investing in a Jet LOL.  I'm so tempted its not even funny.  I think I'm starting to get the EWT addiction LOL.  But I'm also trying to use HSS more as well and learn those.  I do like the PVC piping set up you've got for your chisel holders.  I may have to do something like that for mine.  I did that for my 2x72 belts.

Lew a fine post and glad you still know traditional turning( note I did not say how to really turn)B)

You must spend all week researching to make these posts, Thanks.

I saw on AAW forum about Cindy's burl presentation and now thanks to you I see there is another about burl#3. May have to take that in.

Thanks, @lew, for another informative thread filled with lessons about turning and projects.  I didn't understand about the small lathe appearing contraption built by Mr. Cooper.  I am wondering if you make something like this to make a buffing station.  

Also, thanks to Andrew for all his projects and posts.  It has been great to see all his progress.  

For pen turners, Rockler is having a sale starting July 31 and lasting until August 27.   https://www.rockler.com/slimline-pen-hardware-kit-gold   

Item 61263 (Slimline pens with 24K gold) are now $1.99 each.  And, if you order more than $39 you get free shipping.  PennState Industries has the same pen for $3.15 each.  https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-PEN.html

I am not beholding to either company, but if it saves someone some money, that is why I posted this.  Friday, I am putting in an order for 25 pens.  Going to give some for Christmas.  

53 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Actually I think HSS and Carbide tend to compliment each other in ways.  Just my opinion in starting to work with both.  The carbides do the brunt heavy living of the project and the HSS tend to seem to do the more detailed stuff.

I agree but do opposite.  HSS takes it down quickly to round. From their the EWT does the fine detail work.

I've gotta invest in a small detail sander LOL.  Gotta be electric my air compressor is only a 6 gallon capacity so it wouldn't take a impact sander, how ever I had to start on a new myrtle blank yesterday afternoon I was seeing some major problems with that other blank, wobbly as heck some cracks that I didn't like.  Either way.  The second bowl I had started on well, I used my disc sander on the outside and yea that works absolutely great.  I even started at 150 and moved up to 220 then 400 it just worked so much quicker than hand sanding.  Sheesh gonna have to invest into that now.

Guys I must apologize I am a TOTAL idiot.  Welp yall were right, needless to say in order to lower the rpm on my lathe I needed to adjust the belt itself in order to get a lower speed.  Man do I feel stupid LOL.  I guess that's what I get for still bein a noob and not reading the instructions LOL LOL LOL.  Either way I got it working now it runs below 800.  Talk about TOTAL OPERATOR ERROR.  SHEESH.

24 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Guys I must apologize I am a TOTAL idiot.  Welp yall were right, needless to say in order to lower the rpm on my lathe I needed to adjust the belt itself in order to get a lower speed.  Man do I feel stupid LOL.  I guess that's what I get for still bein a noob and not reading the instructions LOL LOL LOL.  Either way I got it working now it runs below 800.  Talk about TOTAL OPERATOR ERROR.  SHEESH.

That will really improve the live of your sand paper and make roughing out some shapes a little easier.

I mean it would be nice, but I would hate to have to remember to tighten the screws for the chuck to use reverse on it.  That would just out right get annoying and well on my nerves.  If I lost the screws for that it would be even worse.  How ever I am still debating on a jet lathe on that matter as well.  I should have just bought one of those to start with.

11 hours ago, AndrewB said:

I've gotta invest in a small detail sander LOL.  Gotta be electric my air compressor is only a 6 gallon capacity so it wouldn't take a impact sander, how ever I had to start on a new myrtle blank yesterday afternoon I was seeing some major problems with that other blank, wobbly as heck some cracks that I didn't like.  Either way.  The second bowl I had started on well, I used my disc sander on the outside and yea that works absolutely great.  I even started at 150 and moved up to 220 then 400 it just worked so much quicker than hand sanding.  Sheesh gonna have to invest into that now.

Maybe we should make sanding a new post and we can all share what we use. Main point here tho is you are skipping too many grits. Start where your feel you need to but the progression I use is 80,120,180,220,320,400 and up as desired to as much as 4000.

On  the reverse I use it some because the gouge sometime crushes the grain and reversing helps with getting that cleaned up. Oak is particularly bad to do this . In sanding at low speed in reverse screws usually not needed unless a lathe like a Nova that brakes pretty hard. There screws just stay in the chuck as they are in there pretty stiff.