Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

In all of my mess ups I ran out of the 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 pen blanks......ooooof.    So I’m using some of the 1 by 30 cut down two a 1 by 5 and cut for the brass inserts.  This is what I’m down to until I can order more prope blanks at the end of the week.  So I’ve got to turn off a lot of material to get down to the correct size.  Let’s just hope this one actually cooperates and works.

B8666E2E-143B-41FD-B656-42DEBC41DECC.jpeg

AA4DCC86-25F6-4DE8-AC63-DF38E4C7384B.jpeg

Everyone has a different opinion on what is a comfortable shape for a pen. Some like the slimline type others like a fatter or contoured shape. My Mom has arthritis and finds the slimline hard to hold. I made her a "cigar" pen. She finds the fatter pen easier to use. 

An Internet search will return so many images of various styles you can copy. Also, the "pen guts" that came with your kit are only suitable for that particular species/stype. You may have to change from slimline to another style of pen. When you change styles you'll probably need a different set of bushings.

There's a lot of info at- https://www.penturners.org/  There is also information at the woodworking sites like Woodcraft on pen kits and bushings 

Edited by lew

Welp I messed it up again, I didn't put anything in the center I should have but I think I'm more irritated by the fact that the pen parts don't want to work properly.  The pen turns how ever the mechanism dont want to work.  I guess this is just more of me figuring out the basic mechanics of pen making either way.  I'll get more lol.  Eventually I'll get it right.  Welp no turning until the bowl blanks get here tomorrow back to making people rage quit games for now and enjoy my AC.  But on this one I figured out I can use the drill press to put the parts together which is a good thing.

0.jpg

Edited by AndrewB