Help us help a Wounded Warrior's Family Christmas

Join us in our annual Adopt a Warrior Family for Christmas Project, enter the raffle to help us raise funds for our adopted family!

Our Adopt a Warrior Project has ended, please standby for announcements!

Rate this topic

We have had a fantastic week here in the Turner's Forum! Questions, comments, tips, projects, the whole picnic lunch!

Please remember we are just a few days away from wrapping up our annual fundraiser. We still need $64.99 to meet our goal. If you haven't made your donation, you are missing a chance at some awesome prizes!

Our Patriot Turners-

@Gerald is making progress on the Live Oak platter he started back in June. See his addition to the original post to learn how he handle a warping problem.

8DDE3BBD-77CD-463E-84D0-B2257E88E16E.jpeg.ac0890eae2302d247a1edfc7c64aa914.jpeg.276aacb6892229134f7692ef382625b2.jpeg

@Ron Altier created a spectacular ornament from some glued-up scraps. It is amazing how shapes can appear in lathe turnings.

407220D4-6A69-44C9-BE61-CA1EA6477995_1_201_a.jpeg.ea81cc3d027635864c0cce5c05a77a09.jpeg.9648362206a0f938f851aef1ab001f96.jpeg

@AndrewB must sleep in his shop! He has been working on a couple of projects this week and you can really see how he is improving his techniques and expanding his horizons!  

First is his small walnut bowl-

2.jpg.89c43b83ba6965947e3f9017282ca8bc.jpg.fd92e1ba0b6b7c24fdd10652df2b7354.jpg

Then he received a larger piece of purpleheart and created this beauty-

a.jpg.1ea7ac426d6906e5104df6ed4c73a26a.jpg.00eafa497439e0dd91065a3bc241ddca.jpg

Both of these posts generated a tremendous amount of discussion on techniques, tool use, and general design!

After last week's "Wednesday's..." @Gerald posted a comment about some Easy Wood Tools for sale. I'm reposting it here for everyone. Looks like a good deal on some great tools!

What’s Coming Up-

Highland Woodworking is offering woodworking live online opportunities. Here is a video as a sample-

and the link for more information about their offerings-

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/onlinewoodworkingclasses.html?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Sign+Up+for+Highland+Woodworking+LIVE+Online+Classes!&utm_campaign=HW+live+online+classroom+-+third+send

For The Newbies-

As @AndrewB was working on his purple heart bowl, @Gunny came across a video from Easy Wood Tools and Tracey Malady turning a small bowl. It's worth a watch-

Expand Your Horizons-

Usually the emails from Cooks Woods are about their lumber for sales. This week a different content caught my eye. Included was a link to making a Pepper Grinder. The process does require a few precise forstner but they make wonderful gifts. What I found interesting about this particular presentation was the outside was done first and then the holes were drilled.

A day or so later I found another video on pepper mills but with a completely different shape-

New Turning Items-

Ruth Niles has a new product available. This spindle buffing kit is a more economical alternative to the Beall Buffing System.

923764690_2020-07-2219_55_09-Window.png.05c9ec6b1886a85e3c720be88995673c.png

https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/product/spindle-buffing-kit/

Although not new, the Easy Wood Tools mini hollowers are perfect for making those small Christmas ornaments -

Through one of my social media accounts, I see that StarBond Adhesives has a new medium thick dark brown CA

1191809185_2020-07-2220_19_31-Window.png.2c605deea5a60da585999a1dada1a680.png

You can check it out here- https://bit.ly/32GgTrA

Everything Else-

Rick Turns' weekly video list is available-

Last week I mentioned that I had turned some cherry forms and they were soaking in a soap/water solution. After a couple of days, I pulled them out-

IMG_0845.jpeg.4fabdcab1b42b3f0ce582abdef1c2f3f.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg.719e19e101d7d207df1587771edf8690.jpeg

Packed them in shavings

IMG_0848.jpeg.6c53f7c7988d86efa94f2d22fe4ecae4.jpeg

Then put them in paper bags with more shavings

IMG_0851.jpeg.704a473c5a709c294125cb6c3aae57b3.jpeg

They rest for a while- probably a week- and then the final turning/finishing.

The other cherry is waiting for turning. One piece got rough turned into a bowl-

IMG_0853.jpeg.774f0e1ea1aa65ef20cb833929ff92b6.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg.8bf14fef7b109354d2b7eb7291cb66dd.jpeg

Right now, it is soaking in the solution.

Safe turning and stay well

Edited by lew

Lew thanks for the post. Been a full week. Been so busy I did not get back to you that my friend sold the tools to someone driving up from Florida. He may sell some more as he never turns now. Hey if we can keep Andrew going he may have a full shop of tools and actually be great at using them.

I have been experimenting with turning to completion and have done several in live oak and two in cherry so we will see where this is going.

Edited by Gerald

Thank you, @Lew.  This is a very packed post.  Wow!  Has this group been busy.  Also I really appreciate the links to buffing pads and super glue. I have used super glue to finish pens and I can tell you not to use latex gloves.  Unless you wish them melted to the fabric of your skin.  I do not like wearing gloves around the lathe.  And, I immensely enjoyed the turnings and I always enjoy the Charles Brock shows.  I get those emails and then just sit and drool.  Also, very interesting turning on pepper mills.  

Andrew, please keep it up.  It is good to see this activity.  And, your learning is teaching the rest of us what we may have forgotten or not experienced.  Thank you.  

And, thank you for the experienced turners stepping in and teaching us.  Now, if we can only remember it while we make our way to our shops.  

:ChinScratch:...Nice to see that someone is bringing back some of the old style attachments.

I've got both a Delta 1/2" straight bore, and 1" X 8 TPI that are probably older than me. :OldManSmiley:

I know the 1/2" straight bore is, it was made for the Delta 9" lathe from the 30's.

@Gerald Thank You! My downfall with turning to completion is the sanding. It really seems to eat up sand paper quickly- even using open weave products.

@AndrewB Thanks!

@FlGatorwood Thank You! Totally agree about the CA and latex gloves!

@Gunny Thanks! Can't wait to see that sheet metal bender!

@HandyDan Thank You! 

@Larry Buskirk Thanks! And, thank you for posting the pictures of the spindle adapter.

Also, I appreciate everyone's input and help given to Andrew. It is so encouraging to see all of the positive comments and constructive advice. Having him receive more than one point of view will certainly guide him to become an all around great turner.

@lew

The 1/2" bore one I got in a box of parts that came with the fence parts for a Delta 458 mortiser.

Both the 9" lathe and the mortiser could use the same attachments.

I've never been lucky enough to snag a 458, but if I do I've got most of the accessory attachments.

1376760163_458Mortiser.PNG.a29df71b4b2b83095900b9765e754a5f.PNG

Delta also offered a grinding-buffing arbor in both a MT2, and 1" X 8 TPI Left Hand thread for the outboard side.

6 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

@lew

The 1/2" bore one I got in a box of parts that came with the fence parts for a Delta 458 mortiser.

Both the 9" lathe and the mortiser could use the same attachments.

I've never been lucky enough to snag a 458, but if I do I've got most of the accessory attachments.

1376760163_458Mortiser.PNG.a29df71b4b2b83095900b9765e754a5f.PNG

Delta also offered a grinding-buffing arbor in both a MT2, and 1" X 8 TPI Left Hand thread for the outboard side.

Sweet!

@lew  Yea they are VERY reasonable, I just ordered 3 blanks the other day for about 49 bucks that's including the shipping.  Not to mention Kalamath is only like 5 hours from me so it gets here really quick once its shipped, which is really nice.  The problem I have with Rockler is the selection, there isn't a great deal of selection with turning blanks for bowls on that website.  I looked into some of the other suppliers in the midwest and east coast but the shipping time.  I'm not a very patient person when it comes to certain things.

I meant to make another comment about Ron's turning.  I love the elongation of the wood at certain curves and it really messes with your eyesight.  That is really a neat turning project and I like it very much.  

Lew, your bowls, one appears a bit shiny and the other a bit moldy.  Am I seeing correctly.  And, how to you determine when they are dry enough for final turning?  These are awesome bowls.  

Andrew, I only buy wood at a sawmill or local woodmizer user or at a symposium. Therefore I may not be the best at doing online shopping on this but I may have a way for you to get a break. Some of our club members have bought from this lady and I have meet her. From what they have bought good prices but that was dropped off at the club by Mark Sillay. Her name is Elizabeth Ross and the business is on facebook.

Two Tree Boyz Wood

@FlGatorwood those pictures were taken immediately after the pieces were pulled from the soap solution. They were dripping wet. 

I’ll let them set in the shavings for a while- maybe a couple of weeks. I have turned smaller items immediately from the soak just dried them off first. 

Just put another one in the solution today. Still have a few more chunks of cherry rough out 

11 hours ago, Gerald said:

Andrew, I only buy wood at a sawmill or local woodmizer user or at a symposium. Therefore I may not be the best at doing online shopping on this but I may have a way for you to get a break. Some of our club members have bought from this lady and I have meet her. From what they have bought good prices but that was dropped off at the club by Mark Sillay. Her name is Elizabeth Ross and the business is on facebook.

Two Tree Boyz Wood

Agreed about the local purchases, @Gerald. Make friends with a local tree service, give them a couple of turnings as gifts and they will often reciprocate with free wood! The guys we have used, over the years, even told me to come to their dumping area and get all I want!