Started YET again on another project.

AndrewB

The tenon  can be as tall or as narrow or short as you need it to be for the cap be secured it should not be any taller than that because it then would of course take away from the actual beauty of the rest of the wood and what you’re trying to make out of it so consider that when you go about making your tenon. From what you’ve shown of the peace so far, it looks to be approximately a quarter inch to 5/16 inches tall on that tenon if that’s correct unless you’re carrying something heavy in that then I wouldn’t make it much thicker than that.

Edited by Charles Nicholls

Yea this one I shaved off about an inch of the main material because I didn't want to have a large object I wanted a smaller one.  Which I turned down the tenon to fit nicely to the chuck.  I cut the remaining material off and tossed it.  Now just gotta finish it.  So hopefully I don't run into too many problems on hollowing.  I figured  Id do something while waiting for my much needed laptop to arrive LOL.  After years of not having one I finally got one again.

Edited by AndrewB

Something I have learned over the years is that I don't need, or want to turn down a large block.  Cut it down to close to the diameter you want and then turn.  Save the cut offs to be used later for smaller turnings and make a laminated piece.  I get alot of mileage out of my supply of wood this way.  

Ah so no rounded corners then for the tennon.  Got it.  Yea I was trying something a bit different.  This one is also another test project for the cole jaws as well.  So once I get done with this Ive got to basically take the chuck apart and lock on the cole jaws again so I can try that out. 

2 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Ah so no rounded corners then for the tennon.  Got it.  Yea I was trying something a bit different.  This one is also another test project for the cole jaws as well.  So once I get done with this Ive got to basically take the chuck apart and lock on the cole jaws again so I can try that out. 

Use your Easy Start Rougher to make that 90° transition (or the Easy Detailer) to get into that corner.

Yea the humidity is high here bout 89 % and for washington anything over 80 is hot LOL.  So this afternoon instead of being cooked up inside my house on a hot day I'll work out in the shed on the lathe and attempt to do a better job of hollowing out and finish shaping of this new project.

So I've been out working on this some more, got it hollowed.  I like the rough look on the inside with some of the lines.  It is sanded yes.  I actually managed to carve it down to almost t he bottom with some room to spare before I hit the tenon.  I went pretty narrow on the sides as well.  But I did sand the outside before I started hollowing the inside out.  It went quick.  But I like the way it looks.  It isn't perfect it isn't pretty but I like it.  Either way I think its time for some resin and varnish.  I'm seeing why all of you guys are saying POWER SANDER now, I get it.  I plan on getting one LOL.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Well this one is turning out quite nicely.  Bit of a MINOR problem how ever, my lathe does not seem to want to go below 800.  Not sure exactly why.  But I am a bit concerned about that when I go to use the cole jaws for cutting down the tenon and finishing off the bottom of the cup/bowl.  I'm not sure if it will be safe enough for me to even use because of those issues with the lathe.  Not too huge of a deal.

1.jpg

2.jpg