Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Good day folks, I wonder if anyone has any experience with, or knows where to get a good Made in the USA, or European, Sweden or German, anything but China, bench vise for carving, and something that would be used by gunsmiths.

Preferably I'd like to see something that can be clamped to the bench while in use, and unclamped and out of the way to free up my bench during typical use.

The ideal vise would be multi positional for carving. I am interested in building flintlock rifles, I see other builders using a front vise to hold one end of the gun and a fixed or clamp-on vise to hold the other end. They are typically multi positional. Thanks for any help.

John,

In the first photo it looks like the guy has the two vises mounted to a board that he clamps to his workbench when using them. You could look for a couple of Versa-Vises ( Ain't cheap very collectable)

3 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

John,

In the first photo it looks like the guy has the two vises mounted to a board that he clamps to his workbench when using them.

Larry, I did not even notice that, that is a great idea! Kinda opens up the whole world a bit more now! Thanks!

I have a Zyliss vise (now known as Z-vise) that is Swiss-made.   I can't say that i have used it much, but I pulled out the manual and was pretty shocked at all the features on it that I was not aware of.   I used to see them demoed at woodworking shows and sort of dismissed it as "it slices, it dices,..."    But someone gave me this one with another pile of junk tools.  Check it out, particularly used, as it may fit your needs.  https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/46634474/z-vise-manual

On 7/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, Gerald said:

Our sponsor Woodcraft has a Pattern makers or gun stock vise.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6bN1rqy6gIVgq_ICh1LjgsBEAQYCCABEgJtOvD_BwE

Grizzly has the same vise cheaper.

Found a cool one at Garrett Wade

Versa Vise

Could also be made from wood but the time it would take me to do that could pay for the vise.

John,...these 2 right here are what I've seen recommended most often. 

8 hours ago, Kevin Beitz said:

I'm a vise collector... I have class 3 hitches mounted on all my benches. I put all different tools on the hitch including vises...

Class 3 hitch on workbench.JPG

Class 3 hitch on work bench.JPG

Oooh, that looks like a nutcracker.
image.png.5cf03bab97f348fa32693ab8dc5c147a.png

I have an Emmert vise, but they are pretty pricey these days.

The Emmert I have is a patternmaker's vise.  

• Large flat faces
  • Opens wide, maybe 10"
  • rotates 360 degrees on its axis (the "bottom" side has a small set of metal jaws, the top has dogs)
  • tilts 90 degrees from vertical to flat faces
  • jaws will taper a few degrees (patterns are rarely square as they have to be pulled from the sand casting)
  • Any or all of these adjustments at the same time.
  • weight is about 85 lb.

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm