Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners July 1, 2020

lew

Matter of fact those pieces of poplar and oak I just cut up well I got the pattern done and glued together.  I have 2 with oak on the outside and a poplar inside then I have it switched around.  Poplar on the outside and oak on the inside.  So just gotta hurry up and wait for the glue to dry and cure before I can stack them together.  I'm hoping it works out.

I didn't think this needed a new thread.  How ever I think I've got the cutting the tennon down.  I think I managed okay on the first go of it.  Turned out quite well I think for a first time cutting one.  I'm not sure where the rest of the piece is going just as of yet but I do plan on hollowing it out once I remove the face plate.  I'm just hoping the piece is still in line and balanced once I flip it around to start hollowing it.  I've had some minor issues with this learning how to work with the chuck.  If it pans out I'm going to keep going with this project.  @lew those videos helped out quite a bit on that.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Great post @lew

I'll hopefully be getting back to making things shortly.

Just need to find a top for the machine bench now that I can somewhat unpack some of the main shop into the new space that will be shared with yard equipment.

Didn't have enough room to change my mind in the trailer shop. :huh:

:ChinScratch:...I'll have to see how much $ is in that zip-lock baggie full of change.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

4 hours ago, AndrewB said:

I didn't think this needed a new thread.  How ever I think I've got the cutting the tennon down.  I think I managed okay on the first go of it.  Turned out quite well I think for a first time cutting one.  I'm not sure where the rest of the piece is going just as of yet but I do plan on hollowing it out once I remove the face plate.  I'm just hoping the piece is still in line and balanced once I flip it around to start hollowing it.  I've had some minor issues with this learning how to work with the chuck.  If it pans out I'm going to keep going with this project.  @lew those videos helped out quite a bit on that.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

It's probably the camera angle, so I may be wrong about this response. It looks like, in your first pix that the "walls" of the recess are straight- that is parallel to the outside of the turning. You will get a better grip on the turning if you create a dovetail type of recess.

This is supposed to represent a cutaway view of what I mean. The sides of the recess form angled surfaces to better contact the dovetail portion of the jaws-

Untitled.jpg.f39336ad522dbc2dd2ec97b616af7ae9.jpg

The depth of the recess looks good.

@AndrewB

I'm a little concerned about the gaps i see in your glue line (and i'm not a turner so feel free to ignore me)....

image.png.f8ce36837ccceeec1fcde91361f07a58.png

but my concern is the potential weakness in these gaps and that the whole thing might fly apart on you.   please keep us up to date on how this piece works for you and stay protected.

38 minutes ago, p_toad said:

@AndrewB

I'm a little concerned about the gaps i see in your glue line (and i'm not a turner so feel free to ignore me)....

image.png.f8ce36837ccceeec1fcde91361f07a58.png

but my concern is the potential weakness in these gaps and that the whole thing might fly apart on you.   please keep us up to date on how this piece works for you and stay protected.

I wish to mention same thing.  Hit that section wrong and it flies apart.  This can be caused by several factors.  Guessing here maybe not enough clamps in the right places.  To accomplish this I use sacrificial boards slightly undersized on each side of a blank and put clamps as close together as possible.

Lamination takes practice and attention to detail. :D

939247219_winebottletopperblanks.jpg.9ace37f81b0e523c90583e5a423d7bef.jpg

Sorry, a little late responding to all of the kind words. Life here got complicated

@AndrewB Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Lots of good suggestions to help you along.

@HandyDan Thank You!

@Gunny Thanks! Thanks, also, for keeping us up to date on Charles and giving ideas to @AndrewB.

@Gerald Thank You! And, thanks for providing additional tips to @AndrewB on some of his posts.

@FlGatorwood Thank You!

@Larry Buskirk Thanks! Looking forward to seeing that lathe setup!

@p_toad Thanks for offering ideas to @AndrewB