Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

Pauley

Acts paste and polish

Rate this topic

First let me say I’m sorry I haven’t been around lately.  Sold my house at the worst possible time, trying to find another one is extremely challenging and stressful.  Not to mention my sister has been diagnosed with Altzhiemers...you guys and this forum have been so good to me that I felt you should know...anyhow, I’ve seen a lot of turning videos and it seems everyone is using Acks products for a finish.  Does anyone here use it?  If so, does it hold a lasting shine?  Just curious.  I use EEE sanding paste and Aussie Oil as a finish. The Aussie oil seems to hold a much longer shine than wax does.  Again, just curious....

14 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Pauly, sorry to hear about your sister. That's rough. 

Our house has been listed since 3/1. Listing runs through 8/31. Kinda hoping it doesn't sell. Don't want to start looking for a new house...at this time. Hope you are successful in finding one you like. Good luck.

Thanks Gene.  My brother-in-law, who was also my childhood friend for 50 plus years, passed away about a year and a half ago because Of Altzhiemers....it is tough and difficult to keep your composure.  The housing market around here goes something like this.  You find a house you like, price is good, the broker says they will be showing the house for three days and they have 36 showings.  Once done, everyone that has placed an offer will wait to see if they were the lucky one.  This Saturday, my wife and I will be seeing a perfect house for us....most likely we will make an offer, but it really seems frugal at this point.  I think people are making offers higher than the asking price...

50 minutes ago, Pauley said:

it’s more of you guys made me feel like I belong, and for me that’s a lot!

I'm so glad we made you feel at home, here! It is rewarding to us to know you feel welcome and safe.

I am sorry about your sister, I hope some of the new advances in medicine can slow the progression of her disease.

I don't have any experience with the Acks products but will try and find some information for you.

Edited by lew

Maybe you have seen these- hope you can glean something from them

https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/yorkshire-grit-vs-ack’s-sanding-paste.15247/

The comments in these are probably worth more than the videos for what you want to know-

This one mentions Acks in the comments

33 minutes ago, lew said:

I'm so glad we made you feel at home, here! It is rewarding to us to know you feel welcome and safe.

I am sorry about your sister, I hope some of the new advances in medicine can slow the progression of her disease.

I don't have any experience with the Acks products but will try and find some information for you.

Thanks Lew... it’s tough seeing my sister this way.  

From what I can see it is basically a wax finish. What does that mean? Well it will have to be reapplied at some time inthe future. Waxes do look good to start but usually degrade moderately fast with use.

I do not know about how this finish handles fingerprints as most wax finishes do show them. The exception to this is Renaissance Wax. It is used in museums and is very resistant to fingerprints. It is usually used over a finish.

Costs? for Acks and Renaissance is about the same however I have used Ren for over 10 years and still on the first can.

Pauly, thanks for checking in and for your kind words.  You have a large responsibility and heavy load at the moment.  Just remember, we'll save your seat for you.  And, when you return, we'll have a fresh drink for you.  Blessings to you and your family.  

18 hours ago, lew said:

Maybe you have seen these- hope you can glean something from them

https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/yorkshire-grit-vs-ack’s-sanding-paste.15247/

The comments in these are probably worth more than the videos for what you want to know-

This one mentions Acks in the comments

Thanks Lew....

16 hours ago, Gerald said:

From what I can see it is basically a wax finish. What does that mean? Well it will have to be reapplied at some time inthe future. Waxes do look good to start but usually degrade moderately fast with use.

I do not know about how this finish handles fingerprints as most wax finishes do show them. The exception to this is Renaissance Wax. It is used in museums and is very resistant to fingerprints. It is usually used over a finish.

Costs? for Acks and Renaissance is about the same however I have used Ren for over 10 years and still on the first can.

Thanks Gerald.  From what I’ve read from you and Lew, I think I’ll stick with the triple e paste sanding and Aussie oil.  It seems to leave a long lasting shine...

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

Glad to see you popped back in Pauley.  Very sorry to hear about your sister, alz is a terrible disease.  Best of luck to you on the house hunt, what is your current living arrangements?  Are you renting with your belongings in storage?

Fortunately, we sold our house to our daughter and husband.  So we’re still here until we can find something.  We have a pretty good lead on a house and we will be seeing it today.  It hard to see my sister this way.  Thank you for the kind words, Cal.