Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners June 17,2020

Rate this topic

Thank you, Lew.  Always more stuff to learn.  I was watching Ricks Turning video and noticed that his bowl gouge chattered and danced on the tool rest.  Is that normal?  That scares when I run into wood that causes that chatter.  Sometimes, I speed up and that helps.  Also, the more dense the wood, the easier it is for me to turn.  Just talking for someone I know but don't want to identify.  :D

51 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

Thank you, Lew.  Always more stuff to learn.  I was watching Ricks Turning video and noticed that his bowl gouge chattered and danced on the tool rest.  Is that normal?  That scares when I run into wood that causes that chatter.  Sometimes, I speed up and that helps.  Also, the more dense the wood, the easier it is for me to turn.  Just talking for someone I know but don't want to identify.  :D

I would not say normal. Probably dull. Lots of chatter is started by dull tools and then you get those little ribs and away we go.

Fortunately in my case both of my lathes the Wen and the HF lathe both have the same spindle size of 1 inch with an 8 Threads Per Inch Count.  I was making sure of those things and I even went back and checked the thread count and size before I even bought the new chuck so I wouldn't have to buy an insert for either of them.  I realized it when I was just testing the HF lathe I threw on the Wen face plate to the HF lathe it worked perfectly.  So Wen and HF are both interchangeable.  The HF 13 inch by 33 and 3/8 inch lathe.  I was just being curious and seeing if it would work, sure enough it did.  So at least I wont have to worry about getting mixed up or having to buy double if I want to swap using lathes from the Wen to the HF.

Ordered this chuck off amazon still have to put it together but this is what you get.  I believe this is the Nova G3 Chuck please correct me if I’m wrong.  But everything looks good.  After doing a test run on the lathe and doing some cutting.  It works quite nicely.  How ever I am going to have to do something about the dog gone tool rest thats on there.  Guess I'm going to have to make my own to fit.  A Custom rest.  Luckily I've got a welder and a couple of things to weld it up.  My 3 in one welder should do nicely since it has a nice little plasma cutter should come in handy.  How ever the chuck upon first use and first impressions.  For an INEXPENSIVE chuck.  Id say if you can't afford some of the more expensive ones its a good one.  I recommend it.  Even got a short recording of it as well.  It holds quite tightly on the work piece.  The tennon  once I figured out where and how to cut it.  It was quite simple to do and match up for the chuck itself.  I put the chuck together in less than five minutes myself.  Easy just match up 1 with 1 and ect.  for all 4 parts.  Close the jaws tight to make sure they all line up and then finish tightening the allen screws.  Easy.

68CAA5F8-FADD-460B-BD34-CF1F0C9A8813.jpeg

https://youtu.be/JjWHSVzi_9A

Edited by AndrewB

@Gunny Thank You! Those are some awesome handles. I've used some of celtic knot rolling pin blanks- that had glue-up gaps- for the same thing.

@AndrewB Thanks! That's just a plain salt shaker. Salt and pepper grinders, with internal mechanisms, are a little more involved. Precise Forstner bits and measurements can be tricky. Especially diameters- lots of the mechanisms are made in Asia but the instructions often indicate imperial dimensions. 

That's really a nice looking chuck you got. Also, Thanks for the link to the Mike Peace video on chuck selection.

@FlGatorwood Thank You! I think @Gerald nailed it with his explanation of the chatter.

@Gerald Thanks! It's an easy way to use old thin rippings and left overs. Thanks, also, for the response to the question on tool chatter.

@HandyDan Thank You! I was going to keep it as it was from the tree we had removed last year. I still have a couple of pieces so maybe I can hide one from Mimi.

Plain shaker??? Welp it looks like it would cost somebody bout 100 bucks just to buy that thing.  Not a problem on the video.  I've also been researching on tool rests for my lathe they all seem fairly in expensive I may just buy one out right.   I was just doing some research on the Resin coatings for bowls and mugs looks like thats going to be a spending one so it will have to wait a bit.  I've also got another project start up I'm going to try a candle stick holder again now that I actually have the chuck and it should be twenty times easier going for the left over pine wood that I've got.  I've also got on order a bowl turners tool rest I've got a set of 4 of them coming so we shall see about a review on them once I get them.  I try to keep most of those short sweet and too the point. But these are the ones that I have placed an order for  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QXGMGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They should be here on tuesday at the earliest or even sooner depending on how its being shipped.  At least I'm getting stuff I need for what I want to do in the long run.