Suggestions needed for properly bolting this down

AndrewB

Okay so I’m not going to be able to do any turning today.  It will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get some items from Home Depot.  With that being said I put a block of oak up on the lathe with a cut off blank for the face plate to attach to I spun it up and the thing started walk-in across the bench... Thing meaning lathe.  How ever the lathe does not offer any specific way to really bolt it into place so I’m looking for some suggestions on how I could do this so I can turn larger objects more safely.  Here are some shots of it.  Thanks ahead of time.

2B8623AE-A089-4E87-84A4-B1B334319D64.jpeg

BB807B41-4A2D-4499-8A8C-F1BE66245615.jpeg

B84FA3D8-6A68-49E1-8170-171720CD68FF.jpeg

Okay I'll have to find some bolts that fit inside the feet with the bolts for those and then I'll have to re level it some how.  I'll pick some up in the morning when I go out.  My HSS chisels also arrived today which was quite nice so I'll be able to use those as well.  For the lathe I'm hoping I can get it to where it wont wobble at least LOL.  I don't need that bowl project flyin off at me.

I'd get some bolts that were long enough to be able to reuse the rubber feet and the plywood.  Reusing the rubber feet would help dampen some of the vibrations. The plywood will probably only add about 3/4" which shouldn't be too uncomfortable unless ti lathe is a little high already.

To save a lot of chatter and wear on your hands and arms- maybe consider rounding the glue-ups before turning. If you don't have a bandsaw, you could make an octagon shape with the table saw. This also helps reduce tearout when the glue-up is positioned where end grain is presented to the chisels.

oh good lord looks like im getting another lathe in a few days lol.  dag gum harbor freight just shipped the big one.  OH my god.  OOOOOOOOOOf guess they never canceled the order.  Oh well  now ive got another problem on my hands of when it gets here I have to totally dismantle the work bench to put that lathe sheesh.    Oh well Im not gonna complain about it lol lol lol lol.  Welp now I have a BROKEN bench top 5 speed lathe, a bench top variable speed lathe, and now a FULL sized variable speed lathe coming to me via truck shipment good grief.  Its a blank my luck moment day.  Oh well.  At least I don't have to worry about the size of pieces for working on a bowl project and what not.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by AndrewB

I never said that was the problem LMFAO.......  I had thought I originally canceled the order from HF LOL.  It was an overly expensive month for me in tool cost but oh well I can't buy tools for a while LOL.  I  still need a table saw but that's going to have to wait a bit.  How ever  At least I wont have to worry about having to level everything off with getting the proper height for the lathe as it will already set that high.  I'll still probably have to bolt the thing down into the concrete so it doesn't move.  I guess HF never canceled the order that's what I was baffled about.  Well at least I don't have to worry about purchasing another lathe for a while.  Back up for a back up unless I give the bench top one to my little brother.  Which I very well may do depending on how well this HF lathe works.  Everything I've seen the lathe says it doesn't go below 750 or something like that.  I've gotten used to those speeds with the bench top lathe even with sanding down pieces.  I'm not sure if the HF lathe does revers though I'll have to look at the product details again.

Which is all fine and good my Wen doesn't have reverse either so I've managed to over come the not having a reverse drive motor no big deal on that one.  My only concern is the package weighs in shipping 187 pounds LOL.  YIKES.  I'm hoping I will be able to assemble it by myself.  But the other bonus is I be able to do plenty of bowls once I get the dove tail chuck for that.  At least it will be a heck of a lot cheaper as well.

Back to your original problem Andrew, the lathe being too high if you bolt it to a piece of plywood.

Harbor Freight sells those decent floor mats, about 2'x2' that lock together like jig saw pieces.  Will lift you up just a bit, and give you a more comfortable place to stand while you are working.  If it is still not high enough, slip a piece of ply under the mats.

Well I wont have to worry about bolting anything down to ply wood.  I took out the work bench for the bench top lathe so thats out of the shed.  My new HF lathe which is the floor stand one will be here tomorrow woohoo new toy to set up.  HF origionally quoted me on 10 to 20 business days for the delivery but it came from California it don't take that long to get here LOL and I got the call from the trucking company and it's here in state and I get it tomorrow.  So I'm a bit stoked.