John, it seems that you had your young man out last year working on a project.  I hope he continues to stay involved.  It really is a help to understand and see how things go together to function in a desired way.  About operations of the SS, he knows how to use the bandsaw, blade sizes and tensions.  He also knows to use a push board to keep his thumbs.  He has operated the drilling operations in drill press mode, using the depth stop.  He knows to add the drill chuck and how to tighten the jaws.  I have yet to let him work with the sanding disk or table saw, but he is growing and having fun.  The other day, he really loved pressing in the drill bit and bringing it back up to remove the mud.

SS maintenance, every year around March or April and again in October, early November, I take a few paper towels and soak them in mineral spirits (paint thinner), wash it down and then apply another coat of wax.  Our humidity is rather salty as we live about 2 miles from the water.  We are on a hill that is about 80 feet above sea level, but it must be waxed to prevent rust.  The other thing I do is clean off all the sawdust before putting it away.  Sawdust will collect moisture which brings on the corrosion, so just cleaning it on a regular basis is a big help.  The waxing of the machine, blades, tables and other parts keeps everything feeling smooth, works smoothly and keeps the rust at bay.  I do need to remove and gut the headstock as I see some rust developing.  And, the dark spots on the band saw tables are rust.  The one that I had to mostly rebuild, had a piece of tape on it that left a rust spot and it had paint on the table.  I have used 400 grit on tables after washing off the old wax and before applying the new wax.  They get cleaned up twice a year whether they need or want it. 

Thanks to all for your kind words of support.  It warms my heart to see any young person to separate themselves from their devices and make something beneficial and constructive.  And, I am happy that it gave you a warm spot.  He and I talked today about making more pens for Christmas or making snowman.  He's going to think it over.  I hope there is more to come.  Thanks to all of you for your support.  He is happy.