Interactive Remote Demos (IRD)

Gerald

I have been looking at the various interactive remote software. We are using Zoom to communicate with my Mom at the nursing home where she lives. Biggest draw back there is the 30 minute time limit on the free hookup. The school where I sub also uses Zoom for special meetings. A Sketchup guru I know uses Go-To-Meeting to help us answer specific questions. 

Mike Peace is offering demonstrations via IRD-

http://www.mikepeacewoodturning.com/instruction-demos/live-demonstrations-over-the-internet/

As a former teacher, I know that using a camera to enhance demonstrations is probably one of the best ways to get the point across. Close-ups of actual processes are something you just can't get any other way.

11 hours ago, lew said:

I have been looking at the various interactive remote software. We are using Zoom to communicate with my Mom at the nursing home where she lives. Biggest draw back there is the 30 minute time limit on the free hookup.

Close-ups of actual processes are something you just can't get any other way.

We have been using camera and TV in our club demos for 8 years now and it does help a lot to improve a demo and eliminate the standing around the lathe.  We use vMix for our in house software and if you want info send me a message. Of coarse with a IRD all we need to sign into meeting with a computer and either view at home or send to TV.

When those free meetings end you just schedule another meeting and invite everyone back in.

The AAW site now has 32 people who do IRD and that is still growing.

Our church has been live streaming for years.  When we are not able to go because we are getting the grandchildren at the time service starts, we can watch the live stream.  And, on those days when she doesn't feel well enough to go, we can live stream.  No, we can't interact with them, but we can see and hear as it happens.  For those who don't want to participate but observe, maybe, live stream can be an option.  I don't know how many folks can sign onto Skype.  If memory is correct, Skype was developed in Desert Storm to talk back to the commanders in the states.  It was something like that.  It was amazing at the time.