Would this work for an old furnace blower motor where the motor runs a belt?  It doesn't have a capacitor start just as said it required.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/55ac10e-speed-control-variable-ac-voltage-supply/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzK6ezPPA6QIVIgiICR294wrhEAQYAyABEgKdIvD_BwE

Edited by HandyDan

It may well be that your blower is a split phase motor and that controller would work....but that's a guess. Be aware, the capacitor is sometimes located remotely (I have one where the capacitor is located on the outside of the blower housing) and not in a bubble on the motor. If you can look at the motor plate it may have some info as to what type it is.

Dan I think that is a rheostat type switch. They have been promoted as speed controls for routers but it is my understanding that after some use will cause the windings to burn out.Basically it is like starving the motor. Works for incandescent bulbs but not good for motors. Hope Artie can give us some clarification.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Dan I think that is a rheostat type switch. They have been promoted as speed controls for routers but it is my understanding that after some use will cause the windings to burn out.Basically it is like starving the motor. Works for incandescent bulbs but not good for motors. Hope Artie can give us some clarification.

I'm thinking a fan motor is different.  The fan resistance keeps them from running right up to speed.  I one time tried to use a regular motor to run a fan and it wouldn't do it.  My 6" metal lathe doesn't need much, 1/4 HP is what is on there now.  I have this fan motor and would like the variable speed.  I am enjoying all the thoughts and replies.  I'm hoping we learn something here.  Might open a new door on variable speed.

33 minutes ago, Artie said:

Kinda red faced here, not really much of a motor electrician. I can order a replacement motor, and replace it, but not up on what controls work on single phase motors. I gotta think online info should be plentiful. I’m pretty inexperienced on VFDs also :(  

Just my luck.  I'll have to do some more research.

The problems with using a standard type motor with a speed control include heat build up in the motor due to the slower speed not moving enough air through the motor, along with lower HP, and lower torque being developed.

So most times going this route requires the use of a larger HP motor to compensate for the lost HP, and torque.

A Split Phase motor will not work well at all due to the motor not developing enough speed to disengage the start circuit contacts.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

@HandyDan,

Here's a couple parts that might be rather easy to adapt.

This Reeves Pulley fits a 1/2" motor shaft.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Rockwell-24-Scroll-Saw-Variable-Speed-Pulley-40-440-Nice-Condition/303565004841?hash=item46ade26029:g:a7YAAOSw4Ileual6

This mounts between the motor and the motor mounting plate, and will provide belt tension adjustment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Rockwell-24-Scroll-Saw-Variable-Speed-Motor-Mount-Bracket/303560730713?hash=item46ada12859:g:C08AAOSwmuhesvzD

I don't think this type of controller will work for your motor.   I am not a expert on this but for reasons as Larry said the speed the centrifugal switch cuts out is a major concern along with motor cooling.   Something like a VF would be better for control on this type of motor but the centrifugal switch is still a problem.    Roly