Tales from the repair guy

kmealy

1 hour ago, p_toad said:

Makes me wonder if my kids will want my Monitor solid cherry stuff when i go.   Looking back, I should have purchased everything i wanted at Swallens back when i was single.  :ArguingSmileys::Laughing:

Ah, Swallens.   I shopped there a lot.  Then the kids took over and within a few years closed it all.

There was a store about a mile down the road from my last house that sold Stickley.   They closed up in 2018.  Come to think of it, I outlasted all my retail customers over the last 20 years.

3 hours ago, Gunny said:

My grandfather used to say the first generation builds it, second spends it, and the third buries it.

Yep, heard that one before.   The company I worked for for 24+ years is that way.  Nepotism and the kids were spoiled brats of the founder and owner.

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I loved going to Swallen's. Bought a ton of stuff from them back in the 70s, we left the Cincy area in 1981, and somewhere between then and now (as i understand it) the kids wrecked the business after Dad passed on.

Yes, the old man died, they started opening on Sunday (that he had long been opposed to), and just a few years later, went out of business.   For a while, they were my go-to hardware store. Before and after that, there was a whole string of hardware/lumber stores that came and went in about 5 years each. I suppose Wal*mart also contributed to Swallen's demise.  But the fact that KMart was in trouble and so was Sears should have helped them.  https://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/remember-this-decades-before-walmart-cincinnatians-bought-everything-they-needed-at-swallens