Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Bundoman

Anyone have a door for a 46-450 Delta Lathe...asking for a friend

Rate this topic

All,

I will start this post by saying that if I am breaking a rule with this one, please accept my apologies and feel free to take it down.  I wasn't sure if this is outside the typical.  

I have a friend that picked this lathe up recently and is in the process of restoring it for his shop. (No it’s not me this time!). He is missing the door that you don’t see in the picture and is looking for one.  Anybody have any ideas or leads on where one may be had.  I believe he is familiar with theOWWM site so this is may be a long shot.  Thanks in advance for any help.

914315E2-CDCA-4AB6-8D48-103FCB1F8973.jpeg

Edited by Bundoman

I know they are heavy but I was not involved with the moving.  I suspect at least a couple of mules.  As for the door, I totally agree that making one out of wood is a good and viable option.  The owner, however,  has a desire to take this one back to “original as possible” condition.  There is the challenge! 

11 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

A metal shop could probably make one. Was it hinged? Handled? 

I think it had keyholes to hang on screws but not entirely sure.  That may be the path he will follow.  The original had lovers for air which may be a bit tricky to duplicate but sure it can be done.

27 minutes ago, Bundoman said:

I think it had keyholes to hang on screws but not entirely sure.  That may be the path he will follow.  The original had lovers for air which may be a bit tricky to duplicate but sure it can be done.

Sure.  A decent shop should have the equipment to form louvers. 

If there are holes where the screws were, that wouldn't be a problem. 

9 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Sure.  A decent shop should have the equipment to form louvers. 

If there are holes where the screws were, that wouldn't be a problem. 

I totally agree.  Haven’t had a chance to talk more with him about it because of planting season but may suggest this to him as an option.