Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

John Morris

Covid19 Check In

I saw some interesting figures.   Total deaths over the January - April time periods (from all causes) for several regions.  I think this weeds out the overcounting or undercounting attributed to CV19.   In all cases, the historical numbers were relatively flat year to year except for 2020, when they often spiked to 2.5 - 3.0 times the average starting in mid-March

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200521&instance_id=18657&nl=the-morning&regi_id=131061635&segment_id=28666&te=1&user_id=df63bce65bfcbd120833576608d62177

9 hours ago, kmealy said:

I saw some interesting figures.   Total deaths over the January - April time periods (from all causes) for several regions.  I think this weeds out the overcounting or undercounting attributed to CV19.   In all cases, the historical numbers were relatively flat year to year except for 2020, when they often spiked to 2.5 - 3.0 times the average starting in mid-March

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200521&instance_id=18657&nl=the-morning&regi_id=131061635&segment_id=28666&te=1&user_id=df63bce65bfcbd120833576608d62177

undercounting covid deaths significantly!

You have to justify reopening by reducing the numbers.  I took statistics in College as part of my business administration degree.  It is very easy to manipulate the data, or make it show what you want to support your goal.   Our numbers in confirmed Covid diagnosis continues to grow daily along with deaths in our county and the neighboring 5 counties of Florida and Alabama.   

Our guv went to Tampa where the numbers had been low so as to justify the reopening of the state.  And, we have I-95 along the Atlantic seaboard where so many folks were coming from Maryland, New York, Delaware and New Jersey.  As the visitors arrived at the Florida line, they were given a sheet of paper to self quarantine. Hah!  You see those folks all over out eating, laughing and having a good time.  Who would think that a person would spend all that time and money to come to Florida and stay in self quarantine.  Same thing happened with folks coming from Texas and Louisiana.  And, I didn't see those folks staying put anywhere.  They are all over the road and in the stores with no masks and no physical distancing.  Yes, we justified the reopening.  

Regarding the usage of masks, paper masks should be discarded after each use unless you can leave it in the sun for a few hours.  I don't remember the specified amount of time.  For cloth masks, you can wash them as soap and water is supposed to kill the virus.  Nurses wear a mask for the entire shift, then can put it under UV light and re-wear it the next shift.  

Edited by FlGatorwood

18 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I guess masks and social distancing isn't too big of a stretch.

Would be okay if it was all it was but there is so much more to it. 

When was the last time you went anywhere that you weren't at least apprehensive about the thought of going?  I hate this time of my life and this was supposed to be the best time of my life.  I am sure glad I'm retired and don't have to go out everyday.