Covid19 Check In

John Morris

32 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Some of Pence's secret service detail tested positive after their advance trip to AZ. You'd think that might have been enough to postpone the trip. AZ ain't safe, guys. 

Don't feel singled out Gene.  There aren't too many safe places to be found.  Ohio is a Petri dish with the lid off.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Artie said:

I think we just passed 8100 heaths here in Massachusetts.

That's the bad news. The good news is the number of new cases has dropped significantly. The number of new cases is down to 1.8 %. Hope it stays that way. Unfortunately, my town is an oceanfront town and people are flocking here to the beach. Town requires 6' distancing and masks, but the number of tourists exceed the town population by about 10-1 and they are trashing our beaches something awful.

https://abc7chicago.com/fresno-state-microbiologist-mask-experiment-do-masks-work-coronavirus/6293217/

https://fox6now.com/2020/06/30/doctor-demonstrates-how-face-mask-blocks-respiratory-droplets-from-spreading/

This helps visualize what happens in reality.  Remember these little test we did in high school in the 1950's and 1960's?  This is real application.  

When this topic comes up I usually take a couple minutes to pull the latest stats.  NYT & NPR to see the real numbers, and the GA DPH website to see how they are spinning the numbers.

GA is now averaging over 2,000 cases/day, nearly 3,000 on Thursday, over 90,000 total.  Deaths at 2,856.  DPH still says near 0...

Today, when we should be celebrating the 4th with friends and family - and maybe watching live fireworks with strangers at dusk - we will do very little of that.  And I am reminded, "it didn't have to be like this".:(  In early March the US was on the same trajectory as Europe. 

490188249_ScreenShot2020-07-04at7_41_17AM.png.fb39d991470ba9d26f5d9f04bd9a2166.png

That graph is two weeks old, EU is holding steady while the US is now over 50,000 cases/day and climbing rapidly.

This isn't medicine, socialized vs private.

This is leadership, an absolute abject failure on the part of our political "leadership" in the US.  And it still continues, as evidenced by the GA DPH numbers.

Stay safe folks.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:28 PM, Al B said:

Now we can't travel to the UK or Europe. They won't allow anyone from the US to travel there, thanks to our totally uncontrolled covid spread. They controlled it but we blew it. No leadership.

Florida added 10,059 COVID-19 cases Sunday bringing the state’s total to 200,111, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The state is reported to have 3,832 total deaths caused by the virus, including non-Florida residents.

Florida set a new one-day high Saturday with 11,458 COVID-19 cases reported.

According to the latest data from FDOH, there are 15,895 hospitalizations as of Sunday.

ESCAMBIA: 2,809 (+212) -- 47 deaths

as reported on our local TV news this evening.  Gene, it appears that your state is in a race with Florida.  

7 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Gene, it appears that your state is in a race with Florida.  

A race no one wants to win. :( Right now, we're at about 13% infected. But, those numbers don't reflect the numbers of the recoveries. It's bad but, maybe not as bad as some would have us believe. 

Been a few days.  The medical people (that I put some trust in) paint a pretty grim picture of what's in front of us.  The politicians (most of whom I do not trust) still want to gloss over things.  If I have a shop accident please don't call my governor - carry my butt to the emergency room!!!

Georgia's numbers continue to go up with over 4900 cases yesterday; way above any other "worst day".  GA DPH shows 24 for yesterday...

What is your area doing about the upcoming school year?  I think some of our local schools are delaying the start until after labor day, they would normally start back in early August.  If I had kids/grandkids in school I would be very concerned about sending them back.  As a country, what a fine fix we have ourselves in...

Wisconsin has set record confirmed case numbers for the past two days, along with a few other places across the country.

They're still taking a wait and see approach as to the schools. If they do reopen they are expecting a severe shortage of substitute teachers. Quite a few of them have decided not to return. 

Archived