Acrylics turning and reverse rake

Rate this topic

Try some Corian, turns much better and with very little chipping.   Never had hit a void that I can recall.  So much easier to work with than acrylic.  Once I had gotten a good hand with the Corian I ventured back into the acrylics.  Corian can be glued just like wood except you use CA.  Laminate it any direction, angles mix with wood but use CA.   Much less frustrating.  :TwoThumbsUp: 

13 minutes ago, lew said:

Beautiful!

Where are you purchasing your acrylic blanks?

I got them at Rocklers. I assume the same companies supplies most of the wood stores. The last time I visited Wood craft, their selection was limited. I also have to say that I got these pieces a couple of years ago and this was my last larger piece. Suppliers may have changed since.

There lots of places making turning blancs. Not sure how these prices compare to what you have previously purchased.

https://beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_60&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqG64O2z6AIVET0MCh3bjwCKEAAYASAAEgKroPD_BwE

I have been playing with Alumilite casting resin. It is really easy to turn-

https://www.exoticblanks.com/Alumilite-Resin-Pen-Blanks/

Thanks Lew, I think I'll stay away from acrylics for a while. I think I'll practice social acrylics distancing by making some bird houses. The sun and hail have beat the old one badly.

I was cleaning out the old bird nests today and discovered an old bees nest  with one active bee on it. It was hooked on where I didn't put the teflon sheet.  I'm out of teflon this year I may try those baking sheets my wife uses. They are super slick and I don't think the nests will stick. Will let you know.