Turning Safely with Headgear

Artie

Gonna change direction here, John feel free to move it. I got the recent April issue of Woodcraft magazine, and on the cover is a man at a lathe, turning. He’s wearing regular glasses, maybe readers. No mask, shield, face protection, and is wearing long sleeves, down to the wrist. Having NEVER turned before, but having done a little reading about it, this doesn’t seem right. Their version of an April fools day? I gotta think this isn’t the image they would want on their cover. Thoughts?

I'm not saying I always wear a face shield. Sometimes when using a chuck and tailstock combination, I will turn as shown on the cover. Safe? probably not as safe as it could be. I do wear glasses but if a piece breaks, they wouldn't offer much protection. 

As for the sleeves, he is wearing a turners smock. The cuffs are pretty tight. Long sleeve turners smocks/jackets are made this way.

Now, I always use face shield and mask. I didn't always and quickly found out some woods  aggravate my allergies, even if to get that last little bit done. I know better than not to use my PPE, I used it during all my working years and it was second nature to grab it before every job that required it.

I sent an email to the editor of Woodcraft Magazine about the cover picture. He admitted that was probably not the best example. In part, he said- "At a magazine where we love to teach proper techniques and safety, we sure should have had Mr. Kehs don a face shield." 

So, @Artie, your face shield comments were spot on.