Table Saw - Drive Pulley Contacts - Blade Height Shaft

Good morning fellow woodworkers,

I have a delta tablesaw problem I need to fix and have received no feedback from Delta on the e-mail I sent them regarding my problem so I thought maybe you could help.

I purchased a Delta model unisaw with a 10" dia. blade, 3 1/4 HP motor, 52" table, and a Biesemeyer fence system in 2005, model 36-812 with serial number 05A 95089 type 2.

An unusual noise is produced sometimes as the blade is spinning down from use.  This noise was produced since I purchased the saw, but I could never find the source of the noise, until recently.  

When cleaning the saw, I noticed score marks and flats that had formed on the shaft used to adjust the blade height of the saw.  Upon further investigation, there is direct contact between the end of the belt pulleys used to drive the motor and the blade shaft.  Apparently time was required for the flat spots to form on the shaft.  Until this occurred, the root cause of the noise could not be identified.  This contact only occurs when the blade height is set to 2 inches or above, which explains why the noise was inconsistent and was not made all the time.  When the blade is set at a height lower than 2 inches, no noise is produced.  I have attached a PDF file which has pictures to showing the exact condition I am referring to.

Obviously this is not a safe condition and shouldn't be occurring.  Has anyone else had this problem with their delta tablesaw?    Anyone know what is causing this contact to occur and if it can be corrected?  If so, how? Any advice would be appreciated.

saw_hoffman_03-09-2020.pdf

Being that it is the motor drive pulley is hitting the shaft if the pulley hasn't moved on the motor shaft then you need to look into the motor mounts and see if something hasn't gone awry there.  Loose or missing bolts would be the first to look at.  If it comes to the mount being suspicious it will be best to remove the belts for checking the motor mount assembly.  The belts can work as a sling to hold it in place.

I looked at a parts drawing for that saw, and it appears that the set screw is right in the middle track of that pulley. If you take the belts off you might be able to get to it with out removing the table 🤞 fingers crossed. If you do have to remove the table there's a chance you might find shims in one or more corners of the table, keep track of where they belong for reassembly.

Also check to see if a long Allen wrench might slip in to the screw without removing the top. I had to tighten mine  and it is possible to finally find an angle to reach the screw or sometimes two

Allen screws. If the pulley is loose you might have to get a pry bar to reach in to get clearance back between the parts.  I could tighten my screws without removing the belts...