Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Bundoman

First electric powered saw that I learned on...now mine

Rate this topic

On 3/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, Larry Buskirk said:

@Bundoman,

:ChinScratch:...Got this too, if you want something a little bigger. 

975067262_40-440RightSide.PNG.ec374380b0951af1831e653ae0b8eaab.PNG

565653ef73546_IDontKnow.gif.01caecda7e615c644de7a112928e6d71.gif...Am I an enabler?...:DevilLaughing:

I like these saws a lot and had one in my shop for awhile.  Space was just getting pretty limited so I moved it on a few years back.  I’ve gone back and forth on getting another one but never have jumped. 

8 hours ago, Bundoman said:

I like these saws a lot and had one in my shop for awhile.  Space was just getting pretty limited so I moved it on a few years back.  I’ve gone back and forth on getting another one but never have jumped. 

These saws, and a couple table saws are still in my truck for a lack of space to put them anywhere else. Ho_Hum.thumb.gif.05b271113255b404c9d015ba00935611.gif

On 3/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Bundoman said:

You’ve got it bad!  Lol. My overage is in my dads shed!  Hehehe!

:ChinScratch:...3 sheds, my shop trailer, 4, or is it 5 machines in the truck, plus a few I've got hidden in the house the wife doesn't know about. Might be more. 

You know how it is .

When you pick them up for little $ or free it usually takes a couple three to get enough parts to make one complete machine.

I can pretty much guess what was broke on the "Tilty" you parted out. The front trunnion.

The belt guard I spotted in your photos belongs to one of these.

1063699699_1160SingleStand.PNG.7f61353a9d382cdf1ec77032b29b1128.PNG

154386608_1160TiltyTilted.PNG.f251e9632c4cf3a8bfdc331ef40fbb53.PNG

I hate to part out/scrap mostly complete machines, but some of these have to go!

On 3/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, Larry Buskirk said:

..3 sheds, my shop trailer, 4, or is it 5 machines in the truck, plus a few I've got hidden in the house the wife doesn't know about. Might be more.

You know how it is.

When you pick them up for little $ or free it usually takes a couple three to get enough parts to make one complete machine.

I can pretty much guess what was broke on the "Tilty" you parted out. The front trunnion.

The belt guard I spotted in your photos belongs to one of these.

1063699699_1160SingleStand.PNG.7f61353a9d382cdf1ec77032b29b1128.PNG

154386608_1160TiltyTilted.PNG.f251e9632c4cf3a8bfdc331ef40fbb53.PNG

I hate to part out/scrap mostly complete machines, but some of these have to go!

I do not like taking them apart either.  It feels kinda wrong to me.  This was my second 1160 that the guard came from.  The first had a broken trunnion.  The second spent decades in the rain under a bad roof and was a total train wreck.  I have the base like you have pictured here and the guard.   I think the trunnions are long gone but they were intact.  I believe they were sold.  If the guard is something you need, I would let it go as I like seeing the old stuff survive.  

I don’t have one, but would like to find a sander on the order of the one in the picture for the shop. I haven’t lucked into one that I wanted to afford but haven’t tried too hard either.  I like Delta tools because they tend to show up and be reasonably affordable if one is patient.  The sander has simply eluded me.   

2C91A0B9-CE06-42AE-82E1-B5BCE8FC9594.png

Some of my stuff is slightly newer but I don’t mind if the price is good.  I usually clean them up to use, so not really a purist collector.  This one I drug home from the scrap yard.  Had to tighten the belt and fix a fuse connector in the control box and it was  off to the races.

C233A095-402F-4066-9824-CF00B8C49AB2.jpeg

I like that mobile base you have the jointer on.  Did you make it or did it come with the machine?

I occasionally see sanders such as the one you pictured up at auction.  Check out the woodworking tools on govdeals.com ; some decent deals can be had.

I don’t have one, but would like to find a sander on the order of the one in the picture for the shop. I haven’t lucked into one that I wanted to afford but haven’t tried too hard either.  I like Delta tools because they tend to show up and be reasonably affordable if one is patient.  The sander has simply eluded me.   

I don't have one of the belt/disc sanders myself, but I do have the sanding disc and table attachment for the lathe.

I've thought about making an edge belt sander attachment for a drill press.

The machine that has eluded me is the Delta No. 458. 

1639353414_1930-37458.PNG.60ccf57f7f8b8701b08ac85a8a5f8233.PNG

I have the fence parts, and most of the attachments that were offered for it.

Those came in boxes of parts I picked up over the years

I missed one on eBay! that went for a decent BIN price when we got another computer and internet after about a 4 1/2 year gap in having those after taking a lightening hit.

I couldn't remember my eBay! password! :BangingHead:

When I did find the paper it was written on it was gone!:(

Some of my stuff is slightly newer but I don’t mind if the price is good.  I usually clean them up to use, so not really a purist collector.  This one I drug home from the scrap yard.  Had to tighten the belt and fix a fuse connector in the control box and it was  off to the races.

Nice score! :TwoThumbsUp:

:throbbinghead:

I think my newest stationary machine is the same age as me! :OldManSmiley:

That would be my Delta 900/Super 900 RAS.

I'm far from being a purist, I'm not above using easier to find parts from later model machines to get the old ones going.

Here's my 700 scroll saw.

14 hours ago, Cal said:

I like that mobile base you have the jointer on.  Did you make it or did it come with the machine?

I occasionally see sanders such as the one you pictured up at auction.  Check out the woodworking tools on govdeals.com ; some decent deals can be had.

I made the base from 1/8 wall square tube, some light channel iron, a little flat plate For the machine to rest on, and garage sale special rollerblade wheels.  Not in view is a pipe lug that fits a lift handle with two slave wheels so I can steer like a rudder.  I can set the lift  end on a piece of scrap plywood to get to pretty level and they do not roll away.  It can be a bit top heavy so I do have to be careful.  Everything was scrap and repurpose so the welding rods were the biggest expense.  I have several of these made to move the bigger stuff.  As for govdeals, I have been there a time or two and almost won an air compressor on there last year.  Love the site.  

Edited by Bundoman

14 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I don't have one of the belt/disc sanders myself, but I do have the sanding disc and table attachment for the lathe.

I've thought about making an edge belt sander attachment for a drill press.

The machine that has eluded me is the Delta No. 458. 

1639353414_1930-37458.PNG.60ccf57f7f8b8701b08ac85a8a5f8233.PNG

I have the fence parts, and most of the attachments that were offered for it.

Those came in boxes of parts I picked up over the years

I missed one on eBay! that went for a decent BIN price when we got another computer and internet after about a 4 1/2 year gap in having those after taking a lightening hit.

I couldn't remember my eBay! password! :BangingHead:

When I did find the paper it was written on it was gone!:(

Nice score! :TwoThumbsUp:

:throbbinghead:

Thank you and I must say that I have never seen a model 458 in my travels.  Pretty neat though.

17 hours ago, Bundoman said:

I must say that I have never seen a model 458 in my travels.

The only place's I've seen them is ebay, or in photos.

They were designed to fit under the 8" Delta No. 318, 860, and Homecraft 34-160 saws.

They were also put on some rather odd combo units.

This link will take you to one of the wish books :DayDreaming:from my favorite era machines.

In it are a few of the combo setups.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/20103.pdf

Edited by Larry Buskirk

11 hours ago, Bundoman said:

Yes I did!  My son has cut out a half dozen fish lures with it and my daughter has cut out a pattern and basswood angel for her first carving.  It truly becoming a family saw now that we are under “house arrest!”  Lol

Very cool Brent! :TwoThumbsUp:

:ChinScratch:..Is that a Craftsman belt/disc sander on a Delta combo stand I spy in the background?

1 hour ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Very cool Brent! :TwoThumbsUp:

:ChinScratch:..Is that a Craftsman belt/disc sander on a Delta combo stand I spy in the background?

Yes...I am glad they will still pop up in the shop to “hang” for a bit!  Guess my goffy projects were interesting when they were younger.   😁

As for the sander and stand, you do spy what you think you spy!  That base was under an 1160 saw with broken trunnions that I picked up locally.   That saw had a nice motor and pull rod assembly when i got it.  I sold those at the time, thinking it a good idea.  (Maybe shouldnt have 😒).  I had the base so I used it to replace a rough 3 legged wooden “thing” that was fabbed up under the sander and then had to configure a new mount where that beautiful old motor once sat.  Ooops!  I want to rework the motor mount a bit but it is functioning for now and as you know, rock solid!

1 hour ago, Bundoman said:

As for the sander and stand, you do spy what you think you spy!  That base was under an 1160 saw with broken trunnions that I picked up locally.

Thought so. :DevilLaughing:

That saw had a nice motor and pull rod assembly when i got it.  I sold those at the time, thinking it a good idea.  (Maybe shouldnt have 😒).

That's one item that I hang onto especially if it's an early (period correct) motor that would go with my machines.

I believe I have enough 1/3 HP motors, but would like to find a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 HP early badged motor for using on what will be a combo setup with a couple-three line-shafts. The centerline on the larger motors matches the old Delta line-shaft hangers centerline. 

Yes...I am glad they will still pop up in the shop to “hang” for a bit!  Guess my goofy projects were interesting when they were younger.   😁

It's great to see some of the younger ones having any interest with hand made projects. :TwoThumbsUp:

I must have never grown up.:WhoMe:

I still like goofy projects! :D

John...This whole COVID hide at home thing, for all of its other challenges has been good from the standpoint of sitting down to eat as a family again daily,  and getting a little more quality time with my now mostly grown kids.  These will be good memories for me.  As an aside, my dad has enjoyed seeing the pictures of them using the saw too.  

The saw project just happened to fall into the timeline of this weird COVID deal so I have been able to move the project along a little faster and share.

More frequently than i often do.  

I enjoy the site a lot and am appreciative of the supportive comments and conversation for my slightly unusual projects.  I contemplate some of my posts because I debate if they will be of interest to others.  This one has been for sure.  Thanks for helping the site!  I hope to put up some project pics from the kids when time permits.  Oh...and the saw is working great in its newly tuned skin!  Stay safe all!

Edited by Bundoman