Advice needed on tools.

FrederickH

1 minute ago, lew said:

Unless these tools had been "retempered" they could be dangerous. Files are very brittle and a catch could cause a catastrophic failure. 

How can you tell if they've been retempered? I assume that a tempering process can be done to them? I've tempered tool steel for plane irons before with good results. The tools are all for scraping, not so much cutting.

56 minutes ago, FrederickH said:

How can you tell if they've been retempered? I assume that a tempering process can be done to them? I've tempered tool steel for plane irons before with good results. The tools are all for scraping, not so much cutting.

Scrapers can be used for bowl turning but IMO, they are far from the best tool for the job. Without knowing if they've been tempered I would not use them.

Files are considered brittle and are routinely NOT recommended for turning tools.  A catch can snap them and throw pieces at you.  There are still a lot of people who feel they are fine to make tools such a spoke shaves and draw knives but not turning tools.  I have dropped files and had them chip so I know they are brittle.  Be sure to wear your protective gear if you choose to use them.

image.png.325b64a97d11340e21c9aab60597a8ee.png

The above excerpt comes from this article.

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ10.shtml

Edited by HandyDan