11 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

Thanks John.    My only challenge now is how to get my university to pay me for the design and build time.  Once delivered the librarian ask for an invoice.   I made one up and gave it to her.   A few days later I received an email from the college accountant stating they couldn't pay the invoice because I worked there.   I think I'll wait a few years until I retire from there and send them a new invoice.  The money should be more useful then anyway, and compound interest will have inflated the price.    :)   

Well I could invoice them and hire you as a sub contractor! ;)

Looks like they are going to add the invoice amount to a summer paycheck for CNC work I did for another class last summer.  I received a form to digitally sign that my Dept. Head is also supposed to sign.   I got an email from him stating he was stupefied over the issue as he had assumed me designing, sourcing materials, building, finishing, then delivering the stand was a generous donation on my part.   He makes $50k more per year than they pay me.  I may have donated it if they paid me what he makes I guess.  He wants some proof that both parties agreed that the work would be paid for before it started.  Here's where a purchase order would have been handy to have, but in the last 40 years work I've done for the place that I work at has never used/needed one and I've always been paid for it.    I referred him to the librarian who specifically asked me to provide an invoice for the job when I delivered it.  She had budgeted for the project and never thought it would be free or a donation.  I haven't heard back from him yet,  although I may not on this topic if he signs the form and I get the money.  Time will tell. 

4D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The ongoing tale of a rogue department head: He insists that I donate the stand, and to force the issue has refuse to authorize college payment for it. 

I am on the verge of charging him with theft.   He has stolen my right to sell my design. 

There are three things we all can do with the things we design and build:  Keep the thing, sell the thing, or donate the thing. All options are intrinsically attached to the maker of the thing. This DH in trying to force a donation, and preventing a sale has stolen those two options from me.  What he does not yet realize is that he is effectively stopping the library from keeping the book stand. I haven't been paid for it, so keeping it is the only option he has left for me to choose.  He is interfering with/breaking a verbal contract between the librarian and myself, even after I've delivered my side of the contract agreement. He's insisting that the college can steal the book stand from me. 

I'll be bringing this up in our Zoom department meeting this Thursday.   I'm curious what the rest of the faculty in my department think about this.   

4D

Edited by 4DThinker