Small Chippendale Chest.

FrederickH

9 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Both pieces are absolutely beautiful and display wonderful craftsmanship.  I noticed something different about the feet that I have never seen before.  I would like to see how that was made.  

I'm not sure of what's different about the feet? The feet/base molding are made from 1 piece of wood, except for the rear feet. The two front corners are dovetailed, then mitered at the moldings before being nailed(small square brads) to the chest. I think that I have a sample piece of molding that I can show you.

3 hours ago, FrederickH said:

I'm not sure of what's different about the feet? The feet/base molding are made from 1 piece of wood, except for the rear feet. The two front corners are dovetailed, then mitered at the moldings before being nailed(small square brads) to the chest. I think that I have a sample piece of molding that I can show you.

Here's my construction detail of the bracket feet/moldings. This would be for a right-side or left-front foot/molding. As you can see, it's a simple method of producing molding and feet. I use this for most of my small chests and have even added a rabbet to the backside so that the chest can set down inside of that.

L1010508.JPG

L1010509.JPG