Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Shop/Garage in Transition

Rate this topic

Just now, Larry Buskirk said:

:ChinScratch:… Now I thinks I know why you want to extend the SS.

So's it can take the place of the big white thingy.

Trying to get around 42" +/- on the lathe centers for my shaker chair spindles, legs. I think Larry the best way to go about is to just track down a supplier for the tubes, and purchase a set of tubes 6" longer, that should do the trick.

4 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Trying to get around 42" +/- on the lathe centers for my shaker chair spindles, legs. I think Larry the best way to go about is to just track down a supplier for the tubes, and purchase a set of tubes 6" longer, that should do the trick.

Get the heavy walled tubes!

@John Morris,

The link to the extended 10ER I posted in your other topic states that with a 12" extension you get 46" between centers not counting tooling. It might be different with your 520.

We all know it has slowed down for me as well.Forced on dialysis and automatically disabled took me out of full time work and not much out there for part time cabinet makers with any real pay. A lttle here and there to keep a few bucks in the woodworking tool pocket. 

I too let side work get away over the years feeling working a 40 hr week had more gain with no stress. Now I've got eyes open full looking for some sort of side line that won't take too much out of me or put too much on me. 

I'm thinking now about a sign out front that says "part time remodeling and cabinetry"  Never know...

33 minutes ago, John Morris said:

What if you engineered a 6"-10" extension for the tailstock piece.  Just have a piece with 4 holes in to accept the tubes.  Maybe out of a nice thick slab of hardwood.  I noticed Shopsmith has these but looks like even if welded rigid they wouldn't work but I thought to post them for you to see at this link.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/double_tilt.htm

I know what you mean about moving John. Since they put that 300+ home subdivision in behind us it's been a PITA.

There's been talk about widening the road in front of us to 3 lanes. WE Energies moved some natural gas lines back from the road a couple months ago, and lately (past week or so) they've been surveying along the highway. If they do widen it adding a lane and moving the turn lane, along with the ditch I think that would put the ditch into about the middle of our living room. We're only 36' off the edge of the existing road now. 56567ea584735_IDontKnow.gif.3cfca1eb302acab6008082f8235203b6.gif