Shopsmith Power Pro Planer

John Morris

I do not have one, not that I didn't want one.  I shopped for a couple years, but could never find a deal that I could afford.  A new one won't fit into my wallet.  One problem I have with the concept is it has an auxillary motor that turns the planer head.  The Shopsmith turns the feeder belt.  Since I have only one outlet, it would never fit into my scheme.  Maybe, when I can afford to do the rest of the wiring.  Another story for another time.  If you get the one on a stand, I think one power cord drives both the feeder belt and the planer head.  It is a well built machine and made in USA.  

I may be putting Paul on the hook here, but he made a drum sander to fit the Shopsmith.  It has an adjustable bed and you can have various drums with different grits.  He may be willing to share the links to how it is built and see it in motion.  I apologize, Paul, if this is not acceptable.  

Edited by FlGatorwood

On local Craigslist, right after I purchased my Smith, I saw a guy was selling a really nice, barely used Smith Planer for around 475 bucks, at the time I did not know that was a rare occurrence, I figured I'll always be able to buy one at the price on the used market, haven't seen one since.

@John Morris, if you installed the OEM sized head, you would most likely remember. A lot of planer disassembly was required and all those cutters had to be removed and, reinstalled after the head was in place. Supposed to take five hours. Took me two days! 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

@John Morris, if you installed the OEM sized head, you would most likely remember. A lot of planer disassembly was required and all those cutters had to be removed and, reinstalled after the head was in place. Supposed to take five hours. Took me two days! 

It was OEM fit Gene, for sure, I installed it. It went pretty smoothly, even with my Chinese instructions and a YouTube video.