Shopsmith Power Pro Planer

John Morris

21 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

$1600 is a lot for a 12" planer.

It is a lot, on the secondary market they can be had for around 600 or so, more reasonable I feel. I would not purchase one myself, I own the yellow planer as well, but I was just curious how she performed.

10 minutes ago, John Morris said:

It is a lot, on the secondary market they can be had for around 600 or so, more reasonable I feel. I would not purchase one myself, I own the yellow planer as well, but I was just curious how she performed.

I frequent their forum nearly every day and, I can't recall any complaints about it. 

Backtracking a little, it may seem like a lot, but if you really look at the specs, and the features it has, the incredible built in variable speed and more, if I had the money, I most certainly would purchase it at the retail price. It's a robust machine, made well, and for me most importantly, Made in the USA. I could justify it. I wonder if Artie has one and has had a chance to use it much.

16 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I didn't think it was John. :)

But seeing that this attachment goes for $1600.00, how much is the basic machine? :huh:...:WonderScratch:

Brand new it's not for the faint at heart. Artie purchased his brand new for his own very important reasons, and from what I can tell, he has no regrets.

I keep telling ya’s I’m still a junior wood worker. I did not buy the SS planer, I bought the yellow one after reading a whole bunch of reviews. I have also bought a Shelix head for planer. I still have not plugged in planer, EVER. I am working my way to it, life keeps kinda kicking us around. I DID get a free Tee shirt from Byrd, when I bought the Shelix head. They had a spelling mistake on their website, I politely ( at least I tried to be, hoped they took it that way) pointed it out to them. They thanked me, asked me my shirt size, and sent me a tee shirt. From the reviews I read the yellow planer is used by an awful lot of of commercial shops, it’s that good. It seems to be one of those few products that a company makes that somehow is a homerun, head and shoulders above the competition. First VW Rabbit was also one. Hope I haven’t hijacked this thread :(