Shopsmith Dedicated Table Saw

John Morris

Learn something new every day, a Shopsmith table saw! I have also seen a Shopsmith traditional work bench too that looked pretty robust.

Found this saw on the Shopsmith sales group on Facebook.

The owner says this one has the under-table Radial Arm Saw capacity. Huh!!!! Who woulda thunk!

shopsmith tablesaw.jpg

John that top looks like its aluminum. It even has the same grooves as my band saw.I hope its not warped like my Sears 12" band saw.. My wife bought me the saw for Christmas in 1993 and I was so busy I left it in the box and never opened it for more than 2 years...The top of the table looked about like the curvature of earth.. the middle is about 1/4" higher than the sides, kinda rounded . We stopped in Sears one day and I asked them about it and they said if I had have brought it back in 93 it was still being made but not no more and there are no parts and pieces for your saw, so son, you are out of luck...I still use this saw on occasion but I only use a 1/4" blade in it so it don't get as much use as my bigger saw. Was this table saw sold around 1990 to 93 for it could have been made by who every contracted out to Sears with my saw.

5 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

IIRC, they produced that thing sometime in the 80s. It was only sold for a couple years. For cross cuts, you pulled the blade through the cut...like a RAS but, from underneath. Can you imagine holding a piece against the miter gauge with one hand and pulling the blade with that knob under the table? There may have been a way to bring the blade forward and lock it, but not sure. 

Crazy, were they grasping at straws for new designs to jump start the brand at that time?

11 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Crazy, were they grasping at straws for new designs to jump start the brand at that time?

They were doing fairly well back then. In any case, the should've left that straw in the bale. Their financial struggles seemed to begin shortly after (a couple years, maybe). They began closing their stores in the mid 80s, I seem to remember. 

Edited by Gene Howe

On 2/13/2020 at 7:34 AM, Gene Howe said:

IIRC, they produced that thing sometime in the 80s. It was only sold for a couple years. For cross cuts, you pulled the blade through the cut...like a RAS but, from underneath. Can you imagine holding a piece against the miter gauge with one hand and pulling the blade with that knob under the table? There may have been a way to bring the blade forward and lock it, but not sure. 

Yes, that is what I remember, too.

"It sounded like a good idea at the time."

10 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I just saw this on CL, apparently Shopsmith made a stand alone scroll saw. Te surprise to me is that Shopsmith made any of these tools, I was only aware of the main stay of the fleet (the Mark 5).

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.49.02 AM.png

That’s what I have for a scroll saw. Got it off of Craigslist, paid $250.

11 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I just saw this on CL, apparently Shopsmith made a stand alone scroll saw. Te surprise to me is that Shopsmith made any of these tools, I was only aware of the main stay of the fleet (the Mark 5).

I believe they still make the scroll saw stand alone Fred, here is the newer version.

m00y07u.jpg