Diy oscillating sander

Want to make one on the cheap. I've seen where garage door gears were use for about $20...

Anyone have any secrets to share. Was trying to sell/trade the Kreg bar clamps to buy one but most want the clamps on the cheap and that's not going to happen..I'll keep the clamps and make a sander...thx...

12 minutes ago, lew said:

Gonna be hard pressed to make one for the price they are currently selling.

I agree, a lot of time spent for the return.  But if it were a custom job to fit somewhere specifically go for it.  Few months ago they had several selling on CL in my area.  I already had one so I skipped over.  Checked this morning and nothing.  Figures huh?  I sent a message to a friend who always finds deals.  Gave him a picture of one and asked to get back with me.  Might take him some time but I put good money he finds one and for less than $100.

Billy Jack you might want to read the fine print on Wen's 2 year warranty....I bought a Wen hand held grinder like the Dremels I have used for years and it hangs besides the 2 dremels and only used less..   Well it got to where it would only run about 1/3 of top speed I realized the brushes had screwed up so I decided to get instructions out and see what the warranty said since I only had it for about 8 months.....It so happens the brushes are a 90 day warranty and they proceeded to explain how to install new brushes after I called them and they said since the warranty was past I should order and pay for a set and they started to explain how to do the installing.....I'm not in the repair business any more and hung up....It does mention a 2 year warranty but don't count if something happens so the voice on the other end of the line told me...   I would suggest if you buy something Wen from HD then get HD's written agreement you will bring it back to that store and let them worry with it....me, I think I will stick to the Dremel grinders. Never had any dealing with Wen before.

In all my years haven't really used these spindle sanders. The sandpaper that came with the harbor freight kit was junk. Put some VSM cloth sandpaper on and it was better. Definetly wasn't a production type sander. Light duty. 

I can imagine the $1000 machine produces fast results? Not sure. 

I reduced he speed on the drill press to see if this would help. Anybody know what speed works best with the spindle?  Thx...