Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I need to buy a set of these that can go to about two inch diameter. I have read that irwin set can not go more than 3'' deep. But think porter cable set can. Any thoughts on other brands or advice to add? It is for the dog banks I make for service dog agency. I am have trouble getting coin exit hole in bottom centered and not so splintery. I have tried like the door knob driller bits and spade bits but still have issues.

Edited by Lissa Hall

7 minutes ago, Lissa Hall said:

from what i read some sets can not be extended like Irwin was one of the complaints in the reviews. thanks guys for taking the time to answer!!.

That's odd. Wonder why. The extension @Danl mentioned says it's specifically for Forstner bits.

its the IRWIN brand i guess. i was going to post review but cant find it now. but as in all things someone will always find fault in something. so why i put it here> you guys have never steered me wrong when it comes to tools and saying this i trust what you have to say. I am ever grateful to the knowledge base on this forum and the people who are members!!

53 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

That's odd. Wonder why. The extension @Danl mentioned says it's specifically for Forstner bits.

It is a specific hole size for the shank of the bit but I don't know if all the bit shanks are supposed to be the same diameter.

Edited by HandyDan

Just like saw blades with forstner bits you get what you pay for.  Spend a little extra and you get better results.  I've always gotten excellent results with Freud and Lee Valley forstner bits.  Nice clean and smooth sides an no splintering when using a backer board.

3 hours ago, Lissa Hall said:

I am have trouble getting coin exit hole in bottom centered and not so splintery. I have tried like the door knob driller bits and spade bits but still have issues.

Do you need a flat bottom? or just less break out?

maybe something like this? Adjustable speedbor bits? most come with hex shafts but the extensions do work with hex shafts

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj7xO-lo5rnAhUJjrMKHcfGCAAYABAJGgJxbg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RocPzIV255CrDG3gy020AKSFQ&sig=AOD64_25nt8rNeIcly6lzojrexBNjnlrtw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjykuilo5rnAhWLVN8KHVFhB0QQ9aACegQIDRA4&adurl=

So this is the second hole which ended up too big because the first one splintered like crazy. first attempt was spade bit. Second attempt was one of those door hole bits brand new. so since piece is awkward i did try using drill press hoping for bit more stable cut. You can see the hole went way to close to the one side. It also still splintered quite a bit so had to sand it which it still needs more but this is a prototype so not too worried about that right now. but the holes have been a problem for me in the past as well. So I did some research and found that other wood workers use the Forstner bits.

82743958_289593791997037_7736929197678919680_n.jpg