Ultraviolet finish update

Ron Altier

I turned a piece down and sanded to my satisfaction. Then I used my spray normal clear spray finish on it.......I forgot about the ultraviolet curing finish. NO problem. I used the UV stuff on top----that turned out to be a bad thing. The liquid did not flow evenly and hardened that way. It can still be sanded down but It did much better on a smooth sanded wood surface, it flowed evenly and dried that way.

This finish is more of a grain filler finish and it does a good job. As you can see the label does not give a surface prep and assumes it is clean/dry wood only. It actually does a good job filling and as a final coat after hand sanding smooth on these small turnings. You can see on this piece that some more sanding will be needed and a finish coat. 

fullsizeoutput_1129.jpeg

scP7t9p1S1Sv1zPNlomGRA.jpg

I was not happy with the results when I misused this when I applied over my spray finish and had to remove it. It was softer than I thought and it came off easier than I had anticipated. Probably because I used it over my finish. I had good results when I used it over finely sanded wood.   Rack this one up to experience or forgetfulness. I did have good results on raw, sanded wood. It sanded smoothly and a second coat came out great.

Edited by Ron Altier