Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

bradleyheathhays

Good and reasonably priced track saw

Rate this topic

I'm tooling up to do my first resin table and I'd rather not spend the $600 for the Festool track saw I'm seeing in all the videos.  Is there a comparable model that performs as well?  I definitely won't be a high volume producer.  Don't need it to do any specialized functions.  Just need it to have settings for cut depths and use a vacuum system.

Man I've spent so much on new tools already I'm probably gonna have to go budget here until I can afford the better track systems.  And by that I mean just a regular circular saw with a straight edge guide to run it up against.

Any recommendation for a good deep cutting circular saw that would work ok with a straight edge guide, like just a straight maple board like Dragon suggests?

I didn't see the videos, but I get a bit cynical when I see them pushing expensive tools.

I just had excellent results with my Makita 5007MG, a new fine cut Diablo blade and plywood with a factory edge.  The bottom plate is thicker than just a thin steel plate and seems to run along a straight edge better.   However, I often manage to get the cord caught at a critical point if I'm not careful. 

At the risk of stating the obvious to this talented forum - good side down.   

Jim

I have found when using wood strips they will warp when there is moisture or when its extra dry and the metal just lays there.  I also use stick it sand paper every few inches so sometimes I don't have to use clamps when just drawing lines but with a saw pushing against the metal I do use clamps.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, Gerald said:

I have always used a homemade. Good hardwood strip , poplar I think, attached to Masonite or other hardboard 1/4 Run the saw against the hardwood and you are left with a edge to match the kerf for alignment purposes. Hangs on the wall

Been using one of those for about 15 years.  I put big boards on the ground, put down my jig and clamp into place.  Don't care about the dust collection as all the sawdust goes into the grass.  Oh, I use 2 X 4's on the ground, my stock on top, clamp on my guide and saw.  

14 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

I put big boards on the ground, put down my jig and clamp into place.  Don't care about the dust collection as all the sawdust goes into the grass.  

I put rigid foam insulation board (the blue stuff) on my table (hate to bend down or kneel).  Hardboard and glued-on guide (per Gerald) works with any circ saw, and keep in mind that the hardboard doesn't shrink/expand, so it will hold the guide straight (and/or, use plywood as a guide?).  My circ saw has a dust connection, but if yours doesn't, a box fan will keep the dust off your face.  I think something like a 40 tooth blade (which is what Festool uses) would give a good edge.  And you can further improve the edges (especially for infrequent application) by taping top and bottom of cut line, which greatly reduces edge splinters.  A little bit of an upgrade to that is a clamping straight edge, which comes in 2', 4' and 8' lengths.  If someone hadn't given me an F-tool, I'd still be using the clamp edges.  They worked quite well (8" wide conformed aluminum doesn't bend horizontal).

Thanks for all the great information guys.  Guess I'll be spending some dough either way I go.

Since I'm just starting to design these tables and my business success is far from assured, someone suggested I could just cut down the table edges with a router.  And since I just got a good 1.75 hp Dewalt plunge router I'm thinking maybe this would be the more economical route for me.  Is say a 3" edge cut possible on a router, possibly with multiple depth cuts?

Any ideas on using a router instead of some kind of guided circular saw?

A lot of good suggestions for you in the posts above.  And I have looked into some nice track saws over the years, budget being one concern, SPACE being another.  So I have worked with what I have used and can afford.  Below are two items you can buy that will perform the task to a fair amount of accuracy.  Both tools can be used for other things so you get a lot of bang for your buck.  I have cut down sheet goods and doors for many years with nothing more than these two tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-98-in-Cutting-Guide-E902/203175575

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-13-Amp-Corded-7-1-4-in-Circular-Saw-CSB125/205216317