Good and reasonably priced track saw

On 1/8/2020 at 1:53 AM, bradleyheathhays said:

Thanks for all the great information guys.  Guess I'll be spending some dough either way I go.

Since I'm just starting to design these tables and my business success is far from assured, someone suggested I could just cut down the table edges with a router.  And since I just got a good 1.75 hp Dewalt plunge router I'm thinking maybe this would be the more economical route for me.  Is say a 3" edge cut possible on a router, possibly with multiple depth cuts?

Any ideas on using a router instead of some kind of guided circular saw?

What you are suggestion is a good viable solution.

1) cut excess using straight edge and circular saw.  You will need to clamp excess materiel so that it does not fall off as you are cutting so that the end does not tear off.

2) Lay straight edge approx. 1/32" from cut edge and use you router with a pattern flush trim bit.

3) If table is over 2",  flip table over and use your router with a pilot trim bit.  

Some sanding may be require because you used two bits, but you will have a good edge.  I  profiled 1 1/4" on the table and 3 3/4" on the bar stool back using this method.

Danl

IMG_3566-1.jpg.ad59cb20d5744f2f107c15d24aafb648.jpg

IMG_3567-1.jpg.155aa2bf7a64406479636c93728ce9d3.jpg

IMG_3008-1.jpg.8766c1be45691ef7c43d8051f90b76d0.jpg

IMG_3009-1.jpg.92f2112bd708966ca8edf6672ceb085f.jpg

IMG_3010-1.jpg.dbe94564ab16ef65d5069b3fed83ba17.jpg

I think I have less than $50 in my homemade track saw. Not including the Skil 77. Like, PeteM, i use a sheet of 2" thick paper backed rigid insulation board on my bench. Except, mine's yellow.

I regularly cut up to 2" thick mesquite slabs and, with a good blade, I get glue ready edges.

17 hours ago, Danl said:

What you are suggestion is a good viable solution.

1) cut excess using straight edge and circular saw.  You will need to clamp excess materiel so that it does not fall off as you are cutting so that the end does not tear off.

2) Lay straight edge approx. 1/32" from cut edge and use you router with a pattern flush trim bit.

3) If table is over 2",  flip table over and use your router with a pilot trim bit.  

Some sanding may be require because you used two bits, but you will have a good edge.  I  profiled 1 1/4" on the table and 3 3/4" on the bar stool back using this method.

Danl

That's a good approach of you have to use a router...one I hadn't considered. Cut 1/2 (or more) of the cut in passes, then flip and flush trim.