Dado Blades, wood

LarryS

6 hours ago, Wichman3 said:

I recently completed my 600th dado on a new set of blades. The Dados I'm cutting are 1 inch deep x 3/4 wide in 3/4 plywood with a 1/8 in Masonite backer (four dados at a time). Is this a fair test to see how well this dado set is holding up?

I did a fair test between Freud and Amana raised panel bits back in the early 2000...Ran 175 panel Freud and  around 350 with the Amana..

Why I stopped buying Freud in production. Hobby woodworker probably outlast the woodworker...

Amana bit was purchased from a supplier on line and the Freud was purchased at the wood show here in KC...

Edited by BillyJack

So I posted my Question about a fair test 5 days ago, this should have been enough time for anyone to chime in on whether or not it was a fair test ( thank you to BillyJack).

The set I'm using is the Harbor freight 8" carbide. I did a visual inspection of the blades today and I can see a very slight amount of wear, they still cut clean and flat.

17 minutes ago, Wichman3 said:

So I posted my Question about a fair test 5 days ago, this should have been enough time for anyone to chime in on whether or not it was a fair test ( thank you to BillyJack).

The set I'm using is the Harbor freight 8" carbide. I did a visual inspection of the blades today and I can see a very slight amount of wear, they still cut clean and flat.

You can run your finger nail over the edge of the cutting tooth. If it's cutting a fine line in your fingernail it's good to go. If it's just gliding over it, it's in need of sharpening...

If you've done 600 dadoes with a HF set and they still cut clean, it certainly exceeds what I would have expected. I have a HF dado set I use for rough materials (particle board mostly) and it does well in that service, but mine hasn't done near the work you've done with yours.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

On 12/12/2019 at 5:49 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That set has been replaced with the SD208S.

I had read this thread a few days ago, wondering about my 30 yo set from my RAS days.  I was in the orange box yesterday and saw a Diablo 8" dado set (Freud?) and it had a model number something like HD208S.  It said made in Italy.  Could this be the same set as the Freud mentioned here?  I know HD often does this model # trick with appliances so people can't price match.  It was priced in the $60-70 range.  Disclaimer - this is all by recollection from my imperfect memory.  Should have taken a picture!

Jim

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Are you sure it's HD 208s? Freud may have marketed the SD208s under the Diablo brand but that's usually reserved for contractor (less expensive) blades.

Should have looked it up before posting... 

"Diablo DD208H

8 in. x 12-Teeth Stacked Dado Saw Blade Set

Compatible with any 8" radial arm saw or table saw

Cuts hardwood, softwood, plywood, and melamine

Includes 2 blades, 2 wing chippers, shims and carrying case

$ 99.97"

I didn't think it was priced that high in the store, but there was an Avanti set next to it, so more confusion is certainly a possibility.

Jim

14 hours ago, Wichman3 said:

You got me all curious and such.... How old is the Harbor freight set ?

Many bought the 8"  Freud sets because the thought bigger was better. The 6"  sets would have been fine for almost everyone. I wanted a 10" Amana dado set originally so it would keep down on the sharpening. I ended  up using a router bit in a table saw extension for almost all my dados I cabineg so the set just sits, like new drawing dust...

34 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

You got me all curious and such.... How old is the Harbor freight set ?

Many bought the 8"  Freud sets because the thought bigger was better. The 6"  sets would have been fine for almost everyone. I wanted a 10" Amana dado set originally so it would keep down on the sharpening. I ended  up using a router bit in a table saw extension for almost all my dados I cabineg so the set just sits, like new drawing dust...

I bought them summer of 2019.