Exact Fit Splines

HandyDan

Certainly one way to cut a spline, hand position notwithstanding. However, a spline that tight in the slot will have all the glue scraped off when installing the spline in the slot. I guess you would have glue on the (narrow) bottom of the groove but there would be little to none on the flat faces.

1 hour ago, tomp said:

Certainly one way to cut a spline, hand position notwithstanding. However, a spline that tight in the slot will have all the glue scraped off when installing the spline in the slot. I guess you would have glue on the (narrow) bottom of the groove but there would be little to none on the flat faces.

Or make some adjustments.  Give the stop a tap or two.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, Gerald said:

If you let the glue sit for a minute or two it will soak into the wood to a small extent and should be enough to hold. Anyway how much would a spline hold?

As much if not MORE than the original wood. Titebond is stronger than the original wood.

And if you make a spline by cutting one cross-grained instead of using the long grain of the wood you can triple the strength of the joint.

• 3 months later...

I had a similar set up I used years ago on a simple project.  However, I didn't use that technique again, I forgot about it. Then, I couldn't remember how I did it. Thanks for posting, it made me remember and I am going out in the shop and try it.

I think I'll cut up 8 or 10 splines and store till needed

Edited by Ron Altier