Wood turners jacket

Ron Altier

I always get a lot of wood chips and dust on me when I turn. My wife made me a turners apron/jacket. It worked OK, but did not cover my arm or neck area. Last year she surprised me with a full coverage leather jacket. It covered all areas. I didn't have the heart to tell her that is was a welders jacket. It was made of  very heavy suede leather. :Laughing:

I had looked for a good smock for demos and found one in Australia at Timberbits. It is just $28 and has the soft elastic collar. The only pockets are on the sleeves. Takes a while to get here but it is worth the wait. chips do not stick to the material.

Ron you could now use that as your motorcycle jacket.

I know this sounds crazy but I do play with the lathe some and I have a very good air compressor that will get me cleaner than your gown or what ever you call it...

My wife use to stand at the door when I first started coming in from the shop and when she saw there was saw dust on me somewhere she would point me back outside...….I now stand outside the shop and keep blowing till nothing else is left on me or my clothes then I am happy to go back into the house..... I know she works hard keeping the house presentable to any and everyone who comes to see us. so I am thinking everyone who does woodworking aught to do the air compressor thing??????? and I bet if you was to put yourself in a sleeping bag then zip it up and do your woodturning you will still go in to the house with dust somewhere!!!.This just seems to be a no brainer????? Another case for a good air compressor should be one of the very first things a want to be woodworker should buy.