Jump to content
John Morris

MWTCA December 2019 'What's It' Project (816)

Recommended Posts

"What's It" Basic Rules Reminder


For a full run down on this project and rules please go to: "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

  • Only Patriot Woodworker Members are eligible to participate and receive the award.
  • The MWTCA only accepts a verified source to support your answer, so one should be submitted with your answer, such as a patent, catalog entry, tool book reference, or a respectable website on the subject. Do not let these requirements prevent you from having fun and submitting educated answers on the subject without verification, we can worry about references later. All answers are welcome, as well as healthy debates regarding "What's It".
  • If a verified and referenced answer is not arrived at by the end of each month's "What's It" project, a random draw will be performed for a "One Year MWTCA Club Membership".
  • Only Patriot Woodworker's who participate in this "What's It" topic will be included in the random draw.


Additional What's It Rules

  • Unless you are completely sure what this item is, please avoid "definitive statements" that appear that you are without a doubt claiming that you know what the item is. For example stating, "this item is called a "widget xx" used for "insert purpose here". If you are making a definitive statement you must accompany your statement with evidence or proof from a secondary source.
  • An example of acceptable statements within the realm of having fun and educated guesses would be something like this, "I believe it could be", or "It appears it's made for this or that", etc etc etc...


Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!


Project Details

The information provided hereon is all the information that is provided, no further information on this item will be added.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks a sizing tool for a manufacturing process.You insert the hex end in a base unit hex cavity, until you have a proper size fit and then pull a top part down on it. Then turn the top of this tool until you have a proper distance between the two. Different sizes of product require distances.

Edited by Ron Altier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DRAGON1 said:

It's a plug remover for removing plugs.  Used with a pipe wrench and extender for removing caps off pipes, steam plugs,sewer plugs, large boiler plugs. Don't forget the torch to heat it up.


Never saw a plug that was deep enough to accommodate the steps of this tool for the larger sizes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites




@p_toad has been selected as this months MWTCA Membership recipient.

Since a verifiable answer was never arrived at for this item, we went to random draw.



Peter, for your participation you have won a 2020 Calendar Year membership into the MWTCA.

Please Private Message me your contact info, shipping address, spouse or significant others name (if applicable).

Thank you all for your participation!




Gristmill Magazine Sample

the gristmill


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...