Dewalt 788 scroll saw

I'm not a heavy scroller, but I do have an opinion on the Dewalt 788. They are fine saws, and if yours is one of the earlier US models it's even better. I think the USA ones are type 1 on the motor label/ Someone will correct me if that's wrong. They might not be USA, but rather North American (Canadian) manufacturer. Either way, the newer ones are asian imports.

Can't tell you anything about the Dewalt, but if your talking something on the order of the Delta 1200/1440/40-440 they do have a following. I (barely) picked one up a couple months ago. They're pretty heavy. Not sure what I will do with it yet.

975067262_40-440RightSide.PNG.ec374380b0951af1831e653ae0b8eaab.PNG

Billy Jack I think you would change your mind after you run both saws for a day each. Just changing blades on the Delta is a chore. And by the way the blade on that Delta almost looks like a hack saw blade its so big.....Scroll sawer users don't use that big anymore. The difference in those two saws are like night is to day...Lots of improvements since that Delta came out. Yes it will probably last your life time and a few more and it could be that no one will actually use it.. And that is just my opinion....

Thanks for the replies. I don't know much about them as I don't do a lot of scroll sawing. I thought the Dewalt was pretty good but without using the others I would have no ideal... I just thought if the Delta was better I would look to go a headache purchase...Sounds like I already have a favorite....

Its been 50 years since I have sawed on that old Delta model and I do believe it takes pinned end only blades so any inside cutting would be limited. And back then I would opt for a jig saw instead of that monster...This Dewalt I bought in 99 and I can still stand up a dime on its edge on the table top while the saw is running and it is not bolted down and sits on two old pieces of old intertube. The older model just has a limited use but if you don't mind the amount of room it takes up why not.

I have a brand new stand I never used for I set my saw on a 20" tall table so I can sit on an office chair with wheels for I go back and forth to a work bench when I am sawing.....who ever thought a person should stand when using the scroll saw is nuts.....

It is somewhere in my shop but the bolts and nuts might be another thing to find...pay the freight and its yours...I also think I have two more used tables that came with the 7 Dewalt 788's I bought from that school auction. 1075042636_atruewoodworkeralwaysneedsaspare.jpg.f749cee711644896511640a9a37223e7.jpg

1853563258_myscrollsawsetup.jpg.b9995f60157ab8e6dfb952051939c1e4.jpg

Probably half the time I spend in my shop is sitting in this seat and running the scroll saw...I usually have a piece of intertube under the front and back of the saw but when I cleaned out the area to take this picture, I moved it... the saw is not bolted down for when I saw wide pieces I have to slide the saw to the right or left for clearance on each side. I have a cheap box fan with a house furnace filter attached sitting on the side that the air tube blows the saw dust. About 20 years worth of pictures using the scroll saw can be found on my pictures here on the Patriot wood worker...The biggest size blade I ever use is a# 5 either in a Flying Dutchman or an Olson brand from The Teddy Bear which they just had a great sane on their blades and might still be going on!

The Olson I use for more straighter cuts and the model I use is called the precision cut and if sawing curves it's the Flying Dutchman.

• 2 months later...