Wiki Page Pecan Projects Needed

John Morris

Dear folks, I am looking for any pecan project images you may have that you can donate to our new wiki page for Pecan. Remember when you release your images to our wiki, they become open source, usable by any parties for any non commercial purpose. Your images will be attributed to you, and full credit given. Any parties that use your images will be required to give full attribution and credit to you as well. See our open source policy at Copyrights and License.

Please upload your images here in this topic or you can PM me as well.

Your contributions are greatly appreciated!

dl495?display&x=262&y=400
THEPATRIOTWOODWIKI.ORG

Wiki

To have a look at what @Gerald and @lew contributed for our Black Walnut page click on the preceding link.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:01 AM, Smallpatch said:

Might not be the right Pecan project but this is one the two of us worked on yesterday.IMG_20191129_085029258.jpg.359dd3d122dbb8c98a72b44dd3aab300.jpg

I learned how beautiful furniture could be made using Pecan wood so our first bedroom suit was pecan and we still sleep in its king size bed every night.  It been with us since 1961 or 2? Nooooo pictures.

Ever see a woodworker cry. No pictures.

Gene I would argue that fact for the oldest pecan tree or so the sign says in texas is in the bar ditch on 1-20 between Abilene and Fort Worth and it still produces pecans and we stopped there one time and dug up a little sapling sticking up about 8" high and took it to Lubbock and set it out in the front yard of our house. This was about 55 years ago and it is now a producing monster. The highway mowers usually keep things mowed down but from early spring till the weeds get tall enough to be mowed is when the nuts that gets into a little soil grows the most real quick. We were lucky and got there between mowings and dug it up. Lots of Pecan trees just past the deepest part of bar ditches all over Texas with monster pecan trees and folks that live close by usually keeps the area under the trees clean of fresh pecan nuts so now its hard to find any little trees.

Also I read where it takes 7 years for a planted nut to produce any nuts so that might be why the trees keep producing nuts forever when they finally start...

I think the only native pecan tree in Texas is the Burkett, but not sure and now if a person goes to a nursery most of the trees being sold now will go under indian names...

Gene, in this area we have a good many pecans.  I can attest to many orchards being planted over 100 years ago and still in production.  Most all of those old orchards have huge trees with short main trunks with large lateral branches.  An old tree shaped like this takes up a lot of real estate.  That was not an issue prior to about the 1960's - pecans were a secondary crop, alternate bearing (a good crop every other year and a poor crop the other year) and the orchards doubled as cattle pasture.  Trees provided shade, cows provided fertiliizer...

Today's cultural practices have done away with the cattle, introduced irrigation which mitigates most of the alternate bearing cycle and uses much larger & heavier equipment to maintain & harvest.  The older orchards are being replaced with trees grown with a central leader.  That tree can be shook with one grab, those older trees require the shaker to grab each of the main lateral branches separately.  I also see that new orchards are planted on pretty close spacing, maybe 20' x 20'.  If the plan is to have a mature orchard on 60 x 60 and it takes 20+ years to get there; trees planted closer will be economically productive sooner - and you have the option to "thin the herd" by either cutting them down or transplanting 10-15 year old trees.

I have no idea how long the tree would produce nuts, I suspect as long as it lives.  Getting some pecan lumber would really be a chore.  Those short trunks are massive, and when they are being taken down, generally the farmer wants them gone today - not tomorrow.  A lot of those older orchards were also converted to subdivisions...