Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Kevin Beitz

Help ID my plane she's gorgeous.

Rate this topic

http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/StanNo45CombPlaneTypeStudy.htm

http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stanley by numbers/Stanley 45.htm

https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/43282

You may may have already found these.  There is some typing information here I that may be helpful.  

Edited by Bundoman

Your plane also has the floral design, perhaps if we can narrow down when the floral design was used that may help.

The fellow at the link below seems to think that the floral design makes it a Type 7 or 8.

WWW.WORTHPOINT.COM

This auction is for an old Stanley 45 Plane with a number of cutters and other accessories and with a floral pattern that...

27 minutes ago, steven newman said:

The #45 I have is a Type 20.    Why is it rare?   Because it was made in Roxton Pond, Quebec, Canada.   From the 1920s, as it is also from the SW era.  

Name of the guy that put it together???  I mean let's not leave out important details. :ROFL:

46 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

From my observations I think yours is pieced together from parts.  The cross hatch pattern is only shown on the newer versions with the blade adjustment.

2097014659_Model1.JPG.5b5afa51eeab65a37fab0839f05f9d90.JPG.1e4a440ae5be9a561f29b55a7767c3a2.JPG   image.png.f035a14a9f874bd8716e7e81d0dc09ba.png

@Bundoman 's first link (see below) shows all the floral patterns and none have the cross hatch.  Doesn't mean I'm right, this is strictly my observations.

http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/StanNo45CombPlaneTypeStudy.htm

I would think your right... I'm happy for the $15 that i got it for. 

I bought another one off E-bay for parts. I don't have it yet.

I still need to buy a blade set. I see they are not cheap.

It looks to me like someone has used a spray can and gave it a little goldie look. It might have been Japanned black to start with? It looks like the paint might have been later to make it sell better.  Still a bargain if you can find the missing pieces for nothing,

I found these two books at the half priced book store in Dallas a few years ago and always take the small one with me when I go to auctions...

Most everything in either book is sort wishful thinking to find any of these at auctions but nice to carry anyway. I had many chances 50 or 60 years ago at their actual worth but who in the world would want to collect old tools??????

these books at 300 and 500 pages has lots of goodies that use to be out there.IMG_20191130_112444725.jpg.21f6d3ba6d955722270f0e0abacd9511.jpg

When I was younger I wanted nothing to do with old planes.

Now that I see what Steven Newman can do with them

I'm interested. So I dug out my Grandfathers old half

wood plane that I found that it's a Keen Kutter #26 and

it was missing half it's parts. After looking on E-bay for 

around an hour I found out what I had and was able to

buy the parts I needed to put it back together. I know it's

not worth much, but it has value to me. The handle was

broken and the bolt was rusted in the wood. what a time

I had getting that apart. I needed to buy the blade, chip

breaker and the blade clamp. Here she is all back together.

Grampaps Keen Kutter #26.JPG