Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! November 18, 2019

John Morris

Good Monday Morning!

Good Monday morning Patriot Woodworkers! What did you get done over the weekend, and what have you planned for the week ahead! Inquiring minds want to know. Please tell us what's happening in your shops, your life, and any events going on with you. Thank you for being here folks!

New Members

Please welcome to our community, @Windsor Heritage, @Willmartinez, @Shenaz, @Gary O’Neal, @grampa sawdust, @Dwayne, @Adam Grill, @hictheofe, @TomO411, @Moldmaker, @norbert, @BaretBats3, @Dexter, @JayKat, @Matt Banks, @406woodworker, please click on their names and leave a message of welcome on their profile page. And to our new members, welcome to your new community folks!

Community News

Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for Christmas project is live folks! Not only is a great cause, but you'll also have a chance to bring home some wonderful prizes for your contributions. Please see our project page at the following.

Featured Topic

Our Featured topic has also been added to "Our Picks", this is a page for content that has stood out and been chosen for a special place in our community, and for a limited time showing on our Home Page for the world to see.

Featured Link

Our featured links are website links added by staff and members, add your favorite links today at "Links Directory"

Featured Blog

@lew republished his popular blog series for making a French Rolling Pin. Cleaned up and organized for the reader, it's a blog not too miss!

Featured Image

David E. Graves repair-woodworking shop. U.S. Capitol, [Washington, D.C.] Mr. Graves repairing chair at the Washington DC US Capitol woodworking repair shop, responsible for the maintenance and repairs and preservation of wood items, furniture, and architectural interior wood surfaces. [between 1937 and 1939]

Source: Library of Congress

dc_woodworking_repair_shop.png

Didn't get one thing done toward woodworking.  Finished moving the dirt around by the new concrete driveway, planted some flowering bulbs, worked on my chain saw.  Needs a new chain - old one stretched too far.  Got one bathroom cleaned.  Some laundry.  Today, I get to pick up a headstone for my sister in law.  It's 150 pounds and I am going to recruit some help.  And, stole some border stones from next door.  They were tossing them, so I gave them the old disposal discount.  The house next door is being refurbished.  Guess I need to get my paint spruced some.  Geez, I am getting tired just writing this.  :D

1 minute ago, FlGatorwood said:

I thought that this was finished.  :(

The deck is, I opted to do these during the winter months as I can store them inside. Took advantage of decent weather and moved on to my carport upgrades and finished them out.  Then of course the cold weather showed up so the cat house / saw horse project got done next.  In the meantime I had 5 or 6 designs for these doors.  Finally chose to go with same design as the building just no windows.  Fancy is nice but it needed to match everything else as well.  Those two worlds collided.  

Over the weekend I was able to recruit a little help and got the base cabinets in place and locked down.  Yesterday I contacted a couple of countertop places and waiting on the "rough estimates" before pulling the trigger on that.  Still have to move the kitchen island back into place - it is a heavy piece and I will spend some time today measuring ten times and moving once! That is if the help shows up...  Have ordered some chair rail that I plan to install - on the ceiling!  That should be in this week and get me to the point of putting flooring down next week maybe?

Well I got started on this today.  Managed to get both frames build for the doors.  BUT, ran out of 2x4's so I will finish the cross bracing tomorrow and maybe get them skinned up.  Milled down 2x4's to get started.  I don't want the door thickness to be greater than 1 3/4 inch so I milled the 2x4's down to 1 1/4 inch.  Found some 1/4 plywood at the borg that will do the trick inside and out.  Naturally they had 3 out where I could get them, the others were banded and way at the top.  Finding someone to get that down, yeah right.   Will get the other one from a different store.  Minor problem.

Had the two frames on my new sawhorses but it was time to call it a night.  Brought them in and remembered hey I need a picture.

589832463_Doorframebegin.jpg.90076a4ad1caed77511acbc03173d4ac.jpg