Opinion request

Rate this topic

I’ve been using a Norton 100grit white wheel to sharpen my lathe tools.  It works pretty well, but I’m getting tired of dressing the heck out of the wheel all the time.  So, I’m thinking about a CBN wheel.  My question is what grit should I get?  I was thinking the 180 grit CBN, but not sure?  I don’t use very expensive tools.  I use Benjamin’s best.  They’re HSS and seem to work pretty well for me.  

CBN will sharpen HSS but not high carbon. The high carbon will be ok for a while but I think it will clog  in time. I have 180 for sharpening and 80 for shaping  and scrapers. It will actually sharpen powdered metals better than white wheels because it fractures the grain in the steel. With CBN you will not grind off as much metal and your tools will last longer.

3 minutes ago, Gerald said:

CBN will sharpen HSS but not high carbon. The high carbon will be ok for a while but I think it will clog  in time. I have 180 for sharpening and 80 for shaping  and scrapers. It will actually sharpen powdered metals better than white wheels because it fractures the grain in the steel. With CBN you will not grind off as much metal and your tools will last longer.

Thanks Gerald.  The 180 grit it is.  Thank you sir.

Just now, Gerald said:

Any time . As a added note There are those who suggest a higher grit gives better cuts but I am not sold on that. The main thing is if you think you may be pushing ---sharpen. If you are having problems ----sharpen first.

Gotcha good advise that I’ll follow....thanks again Gerald.

Thank you, Pauley for starting this thread and asking this question.  Thanks to Gerald for all his information.  I watched Captain Eddie and he spoke about CBN wheels a couple of times, and I wondered why they wouldn't clog.  Like you, Pauley, I have been using the Benjamin 80 grit white stone and it does need frequent dressing.  Gerald, I'll be bookmarking your link and do some research there.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went looking and comparing prices...  I found a 600 grit diamond 6 inch by 1 inch lapidary grinding wheel for $59...   That is fairly comparable to to most of the cbn wheels I am seeing.  I like diamond because I can use it on carbide tipped tools.  I sharpen pretty much everything I have myself and a lot of my tools have carbide teeth, it is handy to have some diamond sharpening tools that will sharpen "anything" you wish to sharpen.  The other thing is that these will last virtually a lifetime of use and abuse.  

Now I will admit my diamond sharpening stone has seen better days and I really need a new one after 25 years of use, but I still sharpening knives, chisels, meat grinder blades, scissors, food processor blades and a variety of other things with it constantly.

I bought a couple of little four inch diamond circular blades for use on my angle grinder, boy howdy those things are useful, I can cut through concrete, stone whatever I want with those and they just don't wear out.  Diamond is expensive but these days not so much to not consider it.

If you are curious the diamond lapidary wheel I was looking at was on Amazon...   Grit 600 Kent 6" Diam x 1" Width Diamond Lapidary Jewelry Grinding Wheel...  Amazon is not know for it's great prices, I am sure you could find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

Ed diamond stones are good for honing but you may find them slow for sharpening turning tools. In using a CBN on a gouge you just make one quick pass to resharpen , simple and quick. I have never used a diamond wheel but I do not think it will work that fast.

It may take a while to be able to recognize that a turning tool needs sharpening but when you do you may sharpen 6 to 10 times a=on some woods such as pecan, hickory, and many exotics. Even when turning pine a sharp too is essential to reduce tearout.

You can get 8 inch CBN for as little as $109.HERE

On 11/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, Gerald said:

There is some talk now of cleaning the CBN with something like Trend Lapping Fluid. Reed Gray (RoboHippy) says it does help and I could see that in a pro shop but for now I will wait on trying that.

Well, I purchased a Spartan 180 grit CBN wheel...what a difference it is from the white wheel!  You mentioned about some people saying you should clean the CBN wheel with trend lapping fluid.  When I got the spartan wheel, it recommended cleaning the wheel in Kerosine occasionally.