Castelbuono in Sicily. My next carving/gilding project.

FrederickH

Gene, thank you for the gracious complement. Not to spoil the completion of this shell, I'll show you something similiar that I did from a 3-week trip to Spain/Portugal. The original shell was photographed, high up on a wall, in a Synagogue in Toledo, Spain. The first photo shows the gold leaf applied but not "set in". The third photo shows the gold leaf "brushed" onto the surface. The second photo shows everything completed. You can also get an idea of how the plaque/shell will go together.747233953_L1080052copy2.JPG.cd1428ce105415b7d69d958f5e4616f9.JPG

L1080055 copy 2.JPG

L1080053 copy 2.JPG

Edited by FrederickH

4 hours ago, Cal said:

This is really nice Frederick.  I hope you will take a few more pics of the gold leaf application.  I have done one mirror with gold leaf; my results were less than I had hoped.

Me to, Cal. On both counts. I too hope to see the process. My only attempt was a disaster. Glad I used the faux stuff. 

4 hours ago, Cal said:

my results were less than I had hoped.

10 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

My only attempt was a disaster. Glad I used the faux stuff. 

Same, it was Epic even.  :JawDrop:

But I am looking forward to seeing the process here, maybe pick up some tips on where I went wrong.  :)

I've started to gild the shell/frame and realized that I shouldn't have given the shell a second coat of gesso. You can see the brush marks through the gold leaf..... no way to reverse this unless I wanted to strip everything away and begin again. The photos show how the gilding process goes, from laying down the gold leaf to pressing it down into the sizing. I'm doing this in stages because I'm not sure of how much gold I can lay before the sizing sets.  I'll try to "burnish everything when the sizing is completely dry. The plaque is done except for some needed touchup to the paint.L1010484.JPG.76cbe4c63b9bf69dea6ce7e8a9ff3231.JPG

L1010485.JPG

L1010486.JPG

L1010487.JPG

35 minutes ago, Cal said:

Looking pretty darn nice from where I sit Frederick.  Your technique with the gold leaf into the smaller details.  Are you simply laying it in and then rubbing off the excess?

Thank you Cal. My technique for the smaller details is to lay down a sheet/partial sheet of leaf and then use a soft brush to "push" everything down. This is repeated as necessary to fill the details. I try to keep the "crumbs" in the applied area so that they may do some more filling in. My next step is to carefully brush/tamp down the leaf. I really don't do much rubbing, except the flat surfaces, because that will remove the leafing from the high spots.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aaronc said:

Well,...that room is pretty much overwhelming. Thanks for the pics and the link. Stupid question,............are the white figure carvings that fill that room stone or wood?    Thanks -Aaron 

He worked primarily in stucco and that's another story!

http://www.wondersofsicily.com/sicily-giacomo-serpotta.htm

1 hour ago, FrederickH said:

He worked primarily in stucco and that's another story!

http://www.wondersofsicily.com/sicily-giacomo-serpotta.htm

Thank you,...did a quick glance.....I am into things like this  B).    I'll spend some time on that and looking at his work on the net later tonight or tomorrow with my coffee. His stuff is amazing.