Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! October 15, 2019

John Morris

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

I don't know why there is not more upholstery shops like use to be.

These days it's cheaper if not the same to just buy a new chair. 90 percent I'd say of an upholstery shops business is re-upholstery, since the general public is mainly ignorant on what a great sofa or chair is, they buy cheap. Heck I don't even know if I could recognize a great sofa anymore. 

I remember as a kid we had a Made in the USA Lazyboy that got re-upholstered twice, it made sense considering how well the chair was built, and how little the cost of new fabric was compared to a new chair. 

These days, the chair gets a tear, or a bad spot, folks go buy a new one. It's the disposable culture we live in.

Also don't forget they sell insurance with new furniture as well. You get a spot, or rip, they ship a new panel of fabric to your door, then an installer followes up with a phone call to come to your home and install the replacement panel.

well, here's the thing:  it appeared that some people didn't like how i asked questions now and then.  how i made comments on other posts.  i haven't changed my outlook on life in the last 6 months.  i still have strong opinions on matters.  so if we're going to have the same objections and reactions, then i'll just save the hassle and leave for good, and all y'all can talk among yourselves without my input.

6 minutes ago, DAB said:

well, here's the thing:  it appeared that some people didn't like how i asked questions now and then.  how i made comments on other posts.  i haven't changed my outlook on life in the last 6 months.  i still have strong opinions on matters.  so if we're going to have the same objections and reactions, then i'll just save the hassle and leave for good, and all y'all can talk among yourselves without my input.

I guess I must have missed all this....can we refer to past posts?

8 minutes ago, DAB said:

Dab I have some strong opinions too just not on woodworking. More like political , religion , patriotism and a couple other things  we will not get into. Yes I sometimes get into a push comes to shove with the pantywaist liberals about guns on the political cartoons but have learned to make the comment and do not look back for a response. That makes my life much easier not having to read the stupid uneducated gun control remarks.

23 minutes ago, DAB said:

it wasn't a single past post, from what i gathered.  apparently i rubbed someone the wrong way with some of my replies.  said i was abusive.  questioned someone's approach to a project.

The Patriot Woodworker Community door swings in, out and in and even a couple more times at that, we love it when folks return, more the merrier, and we are a better community of information when we have such a mixed group of woodworkers and artisans.

This is all we ask, of everyone:

Anyone deviates from this basic, very clear, no non-sense cardinal rule, you'll hear from us. It's really very easy to do, just be nice. :)

"Dear folks, I want to remind everyone here, that any commentary that is posted in this community shall be positive, encouraging, helpful, and as a mentor or peer, polite and courteous.

Please think before you hit the Submit button, how others may see your comment, how your topic may look to a new member, how you are presenting your writing in front of a new member or new woodworker.

We want to keep people here, we want to be helpful, we want to be friendly, and we want folks to feel at home.

Just be thoughtful, smart, and aware.

We have a great community, and lets keep it positive, and friendly, and if you are an experienced woodworker, and you are in the midst of new woodworkers, and new members, then you are a mentor whether you like it or not."

saved you a click.

hypothetically, someone has a busted piece of furniture, they show it off, post plans for reviving it, including guesses of time and materials and costs.  you see the piece, recognize that it's nothing special, just an old piece from the Sears catalog long ago (you have a supply of them for 'reference'), and note that perhaps time and materials would be better used just building a new piece, with better joinery, from scratch, using the lines of the old one as a guide.

does that pass the 'smell' test?

@DAB, do you want to participate in this community or not? You are more than welcome. We don't hold grudges, you were suspended for two weeks and you never came back. Till now. You are here, our community is here for you. I am not going to rehash old news, out of context statements etc. What's done is done.

Our doors are open to ya, it would be a wonderful thing if you came back on a positive note, instead of this dancing around that you are participating in right now. If you don't like it here, that is ok, nobody is forcing you to stay, there is no void to be filled if you leave because one member does not make our community, yet all our members together make this a really special place, and that includes you my friend.

If you do like it here, then that is really special and I/we are thrilled to have ya back.

Now lets be done with this, and get to contributing some valuable content for others to use, benefit from, and collaborate on. Cheers sir, and I hope to see ya on the forum! :)

i'm not sure yet.  trying to get the lay of the land.  thus my post above.  which wasn't addressed.

if you only want happy posts, then just say so.  sometimes, constructive posts can contain some bad news (that plan isn't going to work, it's going to break the same way again, here's an idea how to better do that).  what i viewed as "helpful", you viewed as "abusive".  so we are not on the same page at present.

i'll think about this over the weekend.  now to figure out how to turn off all these email notifications.....

3 minutes ago, DAB said:

now to figure out how to turn off all these email notifications.....

Go to your profile and "Notifications", you can get it all handled there.

4 minutes ago, DAB said:

trying to get the lay of the land.

Take your time, the land hasn't changed since the last time you been here, you know how it's all laid out. If we see ya we see ya, if we don't I hope you find a more suitable forum experience elsewhere, truly I wish you the best.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I think I know the answer to this one....go to that little symbol that looks like a globe

well, poop...John beat me to it.

Actually that's an easier way Fred! I had not tried that one, I have always gone to my profile and then clicked on "Notification Settings", your way is much more streamlined, thanks!

@DAB

Don't sweat getting beat up over issues. I have been suspended, fired, court martialed 3 times ( unsuccessfully). Yet I see it as nothing more than lessons learned.  I can laugh at myself with the best of them.

And yeah sometimes I read a post and wonder are you an idiot? But thinking it is as far as I get. Now a good zinger or joke I am all about that.

Off topic posts? Guilty. Guilty.

:D

Got this cabinet varnished over the weekend.

Got 4 coat on and now waiting to dry really good so I can sand with 320 grit and apply the final coat of varnish. Could have done 3 coats before the final but decided on a fourth.

1455134353_Cabinet2.jpg.ca764c6807c908c8d121f1146723f0bb.jpg

Then I need to put the doors on and put the electric fireplace in. Still have to build the shelves.