Job Innerview

Artie

I have a job interview on Tuesday morning, at 7:45 am. A vocational school is hiring a maintenance electrician. It appears the pay is slightly better, most of the other benefits are in the same ballpark. The only negative I’m currently aware of is the duties include being on the snow removal crew. Main positive is 38 less miles of driving every work day. Pretty sure doing snow removal will not be that bothersome to me. Added benefit is if I were to get the job, I might be able to mosey by the cabinet making shop and ask some woodworking questions. Since I’m pretty unhappy with current job, I’m keeping the fingers crossed.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck.  Last time I went to the local high school to be in the Automotive Program as a Volunteer Advisor for some committee.  I had a interesting time.  At the time I worked for Toyota and they encouraged Senior Techs to wear a lab coat.  Since I came from work I had my lab coat on.  As well as my flashlight in it's holster on my hip, my pockets full of 1/4 sockets and extensions, pocket protector for my screwdrivers and pen.  Didn't know anything about checking in at the front office, the guy just told me show up at this time.  Came in through the shop door like I come to work.  Everything was fine, UNTIL.  Had to go to the bathroom.  So I walked out and down the hall.  Used toilet and on my way back, OMG.  Security everywhere going crazy.  Heck I thought they had a shooting so I ducked back into the classroom and locked the door, gave warning to the instructor and he and I went out the shop door.  We were standing outside waiting for 20 minutes.  Then the Police showed up.  OMG.  Told me to drop the gun, get down on my stomach.  Since I wasn't armed I said as much.  Wrong answer!

After 30 minutes they got it all sorted out.  Someone saw me in my lab coat and thought I was going to shoot the place up.  Got instructions from Principal as to how to properly enter the school, get registered and such.  Then they told me I had to go get a copy of my criminal record, get fingerprinted, do a background check, then get an ID card from the courthouse and finally attend 24 hours of instruction on school policy.  At my expense mind you.

I smiled and told him, thanks but I think you need to find someone else.  I didn't need that much crap to join the Marine Corp and they PAID me.  The instructor contacted me a week later asking me if we had an openings.  Seems high school was a lot different then what we all went through.

Good luck to ya. Woodworking class? I heard these were coming back. I tried talking to the guy here in town running a woodworking class at the high school. Everything was good till I said I was a professional. Then he got all funny on me....

Anyway I told him to hollar at me I'd he needed any help. But he wont. Starting wondering what the fuss is about be a PRO.....

• 2 weeks later...

The interview was Tuesday Oct 15. Haven’t heard anything since. They told me they were interviewing another candidate on Wednesday, and then making recommendations to the superintendent. Superintendent was out all of last week, so maybe not happy with the candidates? Maybe their office doesn’t work fast? I didn’t get a warm and fuzzy about the interview, but neither did I get a gloom and doom. So who knows? Right now my energy is going to me Missus who is undergoing cataract surgery on her other eye next week. She’s a type one diabetic so they schedule the surgeries 5-8 weeks apart. Then I hope to be entertaining Mr Al B for a visit. Bills are still getting paid so Cest La Vie (I mighta misspelled that, my French is not very good LOL)

4 hours ago, Artie said:

I didn’t get a warm and fuzzy about the interview,

Interviewers are getting really good at not showing their cards these days. Been on a few interview panels as the interviewer for my work, and we learn how to "not project a bias or hope". It's very dry and down the middle, and when you are interviewing for govt. it's a point system so the bias is reduced. I wish you the best, sounds like it'd be a wonderful change.

And please let Mrs. Artie know we are cheering for her successful surgery and speedy recovery so she can continue to keep her eyes peeled on ya! She needs to keep you outta trouble!

Hang in there Artie.  The gov'ment can be slow, especially state and feds.

I take it this is the second cataract surgery, and the first one went well?  My wife just had both eyes done earlier this year, and she is a happy camper with the outcome.  Hope the best for your misses too!

Archived