Gunny

14 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I made one of wood with half inch magnets epoxied in the bottom.

These magnets I got are rather strong.  Don't have any info on how strong but I am wondering if they might be good for some featherboards.  Maybe next smallish project for me.  Once I get more horizontal surfaces cleaned up.:)

On 10/9/2019 at 10:00 AM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

These magnets I got are rather strong.  Don't have any info on how strong but I am wondering if they might be good for some featherboards.

You might consider switchable magnets.  I have a featherboard using them and I love it.  Maybe you could make your own switchable magnets from the ones you were given.  That might be in interesting project.  Just remember, as I am sure you know, like poles repel, so you would need to retain the top magnet when the assembly is turned off.

Like other shopsmith owners, my bandsaw table is caste iron.  If I want to use a fence, I have a wooden one that I use with C-clamps to put in place.  Other times, I put down a piece of tape if it is not serious, mark the distance from the blade to the mark on the tape and keep approximate.  Mostly I use the tape when I cut pieces for the lathe.  

Just now, FlGatorwood said:

If I want to use a fence, I have a wooden one that I use with C-clamps to put in place.

This was what I used on the smaller 3 wheel Craftsman I had.  On a rare occasion.  This Rikon is only a 10 inch saw so mostly I use this for quick cuts and curves and such..  My bigger JET is a 14 inch I use for larger work and resawing.