Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! October 7, 2019

John Morris

1 hour ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Do a Project in Progress thread, will be interesting to see how it progresses.

I'll definitely do that. There's been no plans to copy for this project, it's all dimensioned based on what my wife would like and for the space we want to use it. It'll challenge me with some new things, which I'm looking forward to.

Just now, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Well I use a napkin, I think @Gene Howe uses receipt paper from the grocery store.  :lol:

We scribbled it on a scrap of paper initially, and from there it made its way to Sketchup. Given me an idea at least. We've made modifications since then too, but such is design I guess. The W.A.F. is extremely important too. That's Wife Appreciation Factor for those who don't know ;)

When I studied mechanical drawing back in the 1960's, I learned how to make measurements, angles and arcs.  Yes, I still do and won't ever let a computer take away what I learned.  I can't do Sketchup.  But a napkin, as long as it doesn't have donut sugar or coffee spills is a perfect medium for drawing.  And, it's easily taped to a piece of wood for reference.  Not all details are drawn out just to keep myself guessing while the project is in progress.  Like Gene said, you need some spontaneity.  :lol: