Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Curly Maple Pewter Display Cabinet

Rate this topic

Years ago I made a cabinet for a local customer, who became my friend. I have the cabinet in our gallery here. 

I put out the call on Facebook to see if any of my local buddies had a truck leaf spring I could have to build a Froe with. 

My buddy who I made this cabinet for answered back with a big yes. He is restoring his 1942 Ford Jeep he's had since he was a teen and he purchased new springs. He's 69 years old today. 

My son and I went over to his home this morning to pick up my leaf spring and while there I found the cabinet I built right where I installed it a few years ago. 

Just thought I'd take a couple pictures of it this morning and show it off here, I still love this piece. This project was one of those times I really hated seeing one leave my shop. 

He collects Pewter Molds among many other interests. 

Curly Maple purchased from Bob Kloes Lumber, dyed with Transfast Colonial Maple, one coat of BLO, one coat of shellac, and one coat of oil based varnish. I don't remember the cut of shellac I used, and I don't remember the varnish brand.

IMG_20191006_122950897_HDR.jpg

19 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Fine piece of work John, I would have been hard pressed to let that leave as well.

Thanks Gunny, you can see in my album, the cabinet was thought highly of by me kids too. When I'd get a project like this in my shop to build for someone else, it always became part of the family, the planning of it, the kids would see me drawing it up at the dining room table, and I'd ask for opinions from mama and the kids, they'd become a part of it, kids or at least one kid would go to the lumber yard to help me get the lumber, and since my garage shop is/was a major thoroughfare to the front street, kids and mama are always walking through to get to the front of the home, to play, to walk, to water the grass, or whatever, and on their way through we'd stop and talk about what Dad's building. The whole family felt like they had a part in the making of many of these side gig projects I had going since we were married, just to make ends meet in addition to the day job.

In the last 5 years or so, income has increased with my career so making ends meet isn't always an issue anymore unless emergencies arise, but we typically recover pretty fast anymore, so the necessity for me to be in the shop making money just isn't there anymore. And that's a good thing, cuz I am tired, I just want to create now, for fun and pleasure.

7 hours ago, John Morris said:

And that's a good thing, cuz I am tired, I just want to create now, for fun and pleasure.

My 1st marriage I was a money making fool.  A divorce and 3 years after that in the desert and you rethink your priorities.  Sure I do a smallish side job now and again, but usually not fine woodworking.  And then only a 2 day at most project.  Have my own stuff to build.

That is a gorgeous piece John, thanks for posting up the pic and backstory.

I also had a 'net based woodworking side gig a few years back.  It didn't take long before it was consuming my every waking moment outside of my regular work and stopped being fun.  I had set some goals for the business going in and after meeting those goals I pulled the plug.  I am much happier now, doing what woodworking, when I want, for who I want (for the most part).

6 minutes ago, Cal said:

That is a gorgeous piece John, thanks for posting up the pic and backstory.

I also had a 'net based woodworking side gig a few years back.  It didn't take long before it was consuming my every waking moment outside of my regular work and stopped being fun.  I had set some goals for the business going in and after meeting those goals I pulled the plug.  I am much happier now, doing what woodworking, when I want, for who I want (for the most part).

Ya burning that candle at both ends can only last so long Cal, we do learn though, most of us anyway! :)

@John Morris, burning the candles on both ends?  I am sitting here at 7-8 AM reading and posting.  You are doing likewise, but it is 4:30 California time?!?  I would say that you are still burning it on both ends:BugEyeSmiley:

1 minute ago, Cal said:

@John Morris, burning the candles on both ends?  I am sitting here at 7-8 AM reading and posting.  You are doing likewise, but it is 4:30 California time?!?  I would say that you are still burning it on both ends:BugEyeSmiley:

:lol: Well, my work start time is 6am. I'm up at 4am to lurk here for about 15 minutes then I get ready and take off at 5am for the commute. Which so happens to be now! I better git! Just jumped on here one last minute before I head out and caught your reply. Have a great day Cal!