Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Rate this topic

I was on another website and 20 posts later it's never ends. Same with saw blades. I never made sence  of having 5+ different blade manufacturers in my collection.  There's always going to be a good,better best on price and performance... The questions are always the same yet the advice still varies...

Well blade selection is based on alot of variables. For many cost is high on the list. Others go with pure performance and who cares about the money.

Then we have usage differences.  Pro shop with alot of cuts per day verses homeowner that works on stuff for house. 

So no real consensus can be reached. But I can see where the arguments can get rather heated.

When I find a blade or tool that impresses me, I don't go looking for a different type or brand. I stick with Tenryu for blades. No red blades, thank you. Once burned, never again. No second chances.

Well Billy, what table saw are you using ? I have and like the older Delta Contractor's table saws with a Unifence. I was lucky enough to find what I consider to be very rare for the saw, a removable outfeed table hardware kit, new, and in the box. It has been a great accessory.

Edited by CharlieL

4 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I have and like the older Delta Contractor's table saws

Same here, I have 2 one is 1985 made the other 1994 made.  Only thing I have done is change to magnetic switches.  Personal preference. 

We have a member (Scott Spencer, Knotscott) who follows the tablesaw and sawblade market closely and is quite knowledgeable about the various saws and their differences. He hasn't been around much (AFAIK) and I only see him occasionally on another forum answering questions about specific saws.

i think the problem has always been i have $1500 and what can i get. It starts out good but there is always that "if you'll spend just a few hundred more". then it is lost in fantasy world...

Or they ask what should i get without mentioning a budget...

I had heard on Woodtalk that there was a difference in $400 Between a 1.75 hp and a 3 HP SawStop. I asked this question but after 3 days figured it would be faster to investigate than to wait on any member over there to simply answer that Amazon has this. I can't figure out why anybody wouldn't upgrade to a 3 hp over a 1.75 for $400 but don't ask that question on Woodtalk and hold your breath...

waiting.jpeg

The funny thing is that a 3 HP motor from SS is about $400 (may have went up, that info is a little old) by itself. I was looking at a 3 phase used ICS at a good price and called SS to see about converting it to single phase. The motor was $400, and I would need a $100 contactor to replace the one in the 3 phase saw, after that it was single phase. That didn't include shipping, which i guess for those motors could be a bit high.

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

i think the problem has always been i have $1500 and what can i get.

I have seen this question over the years and wondered, "how serious are you?".  Seeing lots of tools I would "LIKE" to own on the various sites I have a list of them I keep.  If the price is right, and the slushy fund has enough to cover it, I buy it.  If not, or more importantly the slushy fund is low, or worse empty, well then not today.  Motivates me to go out and do something to scratch some more slushy up.

What I think many do is have $1500-2000 room on a credit card and just want to burn through it for a new toy.  NEED is not really in the mix, just WANT.

That being said I want a 10,000 square foot shop.  I got a $2500 budget, anyone know of a good deal??? 

Maybe @Gene Howe will sell me a acre of land out his way.