Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

trying to put 7 senco staple/nail guns,4 cordless drill/screw guns and 3 sioux pneumatic in a 48" shelf cabinet is becoming a pretty big task. Trying to think positive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

trying to put 7 senco staple/nail guns,4 cordless drill/screw guns and 3 sioux pneumatic in a 48" shelf cabinet is becoming a pretty big task.

Don't kill yourself over it.  I have yet to find a decent place for some 5ft and 6 ft pipe clamps.  Sure where I have them is okay "ish" but thus far a final solution has eluded me. I have faith though, I will think of something..... eventually...… okay it's been a few years and still nothing.  :BangingHead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillyJack said:

trying to put 7 senco staple/nail guns,4 cordless drill/screw guns and 3 sioux pneumatic in a 48" shelf cabinet is becoming a pretty big task. Trying to think positive...

Is your shop on slab or raised foundation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Thx for the suggestions. It's 20 years  of hoarding and a years worth of reorganization. The space is there, just have to find it...

Hey Billy, I am not sure about where you are in your career, or retirement.

I went through a big downsize last year, for many reasons I had to/wanted to thin down. And I did. I thought it was going to be hard on me to do so, I sold much of what I had and kept only what I absolutely need. Actually it's kind of a life transformation I have been going under, both physically and philosophically. I have been embarking on living a minimalist life as much as I can that actually started about 4 years ago. As a family, wife and three kids we decided to do away with what we don't use, don't need, and keep only what we can or need.

 

That philosophy drifted into my shop summer of 2018 and I cleaned house, and sold all my big machinery that I really don't need anymore, I used to do side work and woodworking for folks and that helped make ends meet in our home, and I quit doing that, and my machinery basically just sat around most of the time taking up valuable garage space. Occasionally I'd get in the shop and actually use the machinery, but I realized, it didn't make sense to have so much take up space unless it was earning its own way for my family. And it wasn't.

 

I am not suggesting you sell off all your machinery and everything like I did, but what I am suggesting is really digging deep, and thinking about what do I really need? What do I really need to make the things I make, and to maintain my home to the level I want, and to keep my family happy for the things they may want me to make.

 

I used to collect things, and I had to come to the realization that the space we have just isn't meant for collecting, and the work that I want to do, does not need all these machines, and jigs, and multiple screw guns and routers and such.

 

I am suggesting that instead of finding room for all these items, instead have an honest sit down with yourself, and think, what do I really need to make what I want, and need. Do I need 6 screw guns? Most folks would really only need one, two max. I know when I worked in a carpenter shop building all kinds of custom work, I had half a dozen guns laying around, sometimes depending on the quick fastening systems or holes, or different screw bits to drive different types of screws on the same project, it was very convenient for speed of assembly to have those guns ready with the bit already installed for each task at hand, it made sense in a production environment.

Here at home, it makes absolutely no sense for me to have multiple screw guns, I currently only own one.

 

My biggest fear of downsize was, "what if I need that tool in the future?". I think that is the hardest part about downsizing, is the fear that you may need that tool, and it's not there, and you have to go borrow (nobody likes that) or repurchase it. I can only say, I had to get brave, I had to just be practical, and come to terms with my own insanity about keeping every tool I ever came across and purchased.

 

Hey, if you have the room, and you are a collector of hand planes, or saws, or whatever it is, knock yourself out, but I can honestly say, I am almost down to only what I need, and one of each tool, and my shop is quite happy, I am happy, and I know exactly what I have and where it is.

 

The wonderful thing about my entire downsizing efforts, and new minimalist way of living, is I had no idea how liberating it would be, it feels incredible really!

My suggestion, what do you really need to get the job done? Now if you are still making a living at this, then most of what I just wrote probably don't apply to ya, you probably really do need all those tools, but if you are retired, thin it out man!

 

One of the hardest things a professional woodworker like yourself can ever undertake is transitioning from pro to retiree, and transitioning from the dependency of a large tool inventory, to just a few things you know you'll need, not what you think you'll need.

 

If you read this far Billy, thanks for humoring me, I get the feeling you are older than I am, and wiser to be sure, so I respectfully write what I just wrote, knowing that you very well have thought all this through already.

 

Cheers sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the shallow drawers, much more efficient to have the tools in a single layer.

 

I built a cabinet underneath my drill press with three deep drawers, found myself constantly digging to find things so replaced the top drawer with three shallow drawers, the perfect solution.

 

IMG_3606.JPG.b58401dbf27a43ee41090378b90d6db8.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The original cabinet with three deep drawers.

 

IMG_4653.JPG.d7525b66e6a2a22e1f7b298399905413.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The cabinet after replacing the top drawer with three shallow drawers.

 

IMG_4648.JPG.7775a60897c22e459ccb681ffeab58d4.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also added sliding trays that can be moved for access to the lower contents or removed completely if necessary.

 

IMG_4657.JPG.2f95555137c71dfd1c40e4fdb56dabf0.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The shallow drawers are perfect for drill bits and so forth which have minimal height.

 

IMG_3609.JPG.03816244da04a59430b93037a656a7d9.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The top section has a removable cover to hide vices, clamps and various tools, and also gives me a surface to lay things on while I'm working at the drill press.

 

I now plan to redo my large bench, replacing most of the deep drawers with a mix of not so deep and shallow drawers, sized to match the height of the contents; I figure that the ratio of deep to shallow drawers is probably going to be at least 5:1. The shallow drawers in the drill press cabinet are just supported on lengths of aluminum angle, will do something similar (angle, wood strips or dadoes) on the other bench as there's really no need for slides as there shouldn't be too much weight in these smaller drawers. Definitely going to make life easier and (hopefully) reduce the time spent looking for a specific tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Hey Billy, I am not sure about where you are in your career, or retirement.

I went through a big downsize last year, for many reasons I had to/wanted to thin down. And I did. I thought it was going to be hard on me to do so, I sold much of what I had and kept only what I absolutely need. Actually it's kind of a life transformation I have been going under, both physically and philosophically. I have been embarking on living a minimalist life as much as I can that actually started about 4 years ago. As a family, wife and three kids we decided to do away with what we don't use, don't need, and keep only what we can or need.

 

That philosophy drifted into my shop summer of 2018 and I cleaned house, and sold all my big machinery that I really don't need anymore, I used to do side work and woodworking for folks and that helped make ends meet in our home, and I quit doing that, and my machinery basically just sat around most of the time taking up valuable garage space. Occasionally I'd get in the shop and actually use the machinery, but I realized, it didn't make sense to have so much take up space unless it was earning its own way for my family. And it wasn't.

 

I am not suggesting you sell off all your machinery and everything like I did, but what I am suggesting is really digging deep, and thinking about what do I really need? What do I really need to make the things I make, and to maintain my home to the level I want, and to keep my family happy for the things they may want me to make.

 

I used to collect things, and I had to come to the realization that the space we have just isn't meant for collecting, and the work that I want to do, does not need all these machines, and jigs, and multiple screw guns and routers and such.

 

I am suggesting that instead of finding room for all these items, instead have an honest sit down with yourself, and think, what do I really need to make what I want, and need. Do I need 6 screw guns? Most folks would really only need one, two max. I know when I worked in a carpenter shop building all kinds of custom work, I had half a dozen guns laying around, sometimes depending on the quick fastening systems or holes, or different screw bits to drive different types of screws on the same project, it was very convenient for speed of assembly to have those guns ready with the bit already installed for each task at hand, it made sense in a production environment.

Here at home, it makes absolutely no sense for me to have multiple screw guns, I currently only own one.

 

My biggest fear of downsize was, "what if I need that tool in the future?". I think that is the hardest part about downsizing, is the fear that you may need that tool, and it's not there, and you have to go borrow (nobody likes that) or repurchase it. I can only say, I had to get brave, I had to just be practical, and come to terms with my own insanity about keeping every tool I ever came across and purchased.

 

Hey, if you have the room, and you are a collector of hand planes, or saws, or whatever it is, knock yourself out, but I can honestly say, I am almost down to only what I need, and one of each tool, and my shop is quite happy, I am happy, and I know exactly what I have and where it is.

 

The wonderful thing about my entire downsizing efforts, and new minimalist way of living, is I had no idea how liberating it would be, it feels incredible really!

My suggestion, what do you really need to get the job done? Now if you are still making a living at this, then most of what I just wrote probably don't apply to ya, you probably really do need all those tools, but if you are retired, thin it out man!

 

One of the hardest things a professional woodworker like yourself can ever undertake is transitioning from pro to retiree, and transitioning from the dependency of a large tool inventory, to just a few things you know you'll need, not what you think you'll need.

 

If you read this far Billy, thanks for humoring me, I get the feeling you are older than I am, and wiser to be sure, so I respectfully write what I just wrote, knowing that you very well have thought all this through already.

 

Cheers sir

I'm  mainly after easy. I don't  want things locked away in drawers and hidden behind other things.easy for me is convenience and not stored away. I guess I've just done it too long. With time becoming more valuable I need things in the open and easy to find. 

 

I think I have too many staple guns but don't know if I might do cabinets again. Same way with routers I think here 20 of those floating around. For me there's the "what if" still in the equation. I  think if I just organize wasted space I might win. I did throw away a 3x3x3 box of dust collection pipe away this week. It hurt but it was really a victory.

 

But without a doubt I may have to fine tune me. It might be the ultimate problem..

Edited by BillyJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

I did throw away a 3x3x3 box of dust collection pipe away this week. It hurt but it was really a victory.

Now that should've included a celebration with your favorite beverage! Baby steps man, baby steps!

7 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

But without a doubt I may have to fine tune me. It might be the ultimate problem..

Step 1 of the 12 Step program for us woodworkers,

  1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction – that our lives had become unmanageable.

:TwoThumbsUp::lol:

You are on the road to recovery my friend!!!!!

And we are here for you every step of the way Mr. Jack!! :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillyJack said:

For me there's the "what if" still in the equation.

I go through this purge every 6 months.  Because I do not want to get so much stuff I will probably never use.  That being said, it is painful especially when 4 months later, man I could have used that.

 

Sucks but we have to maintain our sanity.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First day in two weeks I'm not watching the granddaughter. She does start daycare in about a week:). I guess first things first. Was going to use dovetails but I think I'm a bit lazy and will just use dado's... i have exactly 48" to shove it all in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...