Laguna Midi lathe

Pauley

Right now I have a Nova Comet II midi lathe with a 12 inch swing.  It is a variable speed, with indexing.  I’ve had it for about 4 plus years.  The original motor had to be replaced twice...so far.  So I’m thinking about a new midi lathe.  I can’t afford a full size lathe, that why I’m asking about midi’s.  I was looking at the Laguna 1216 lathe.  It has variable speed...a 1hp motor vs my 3/4 hp motor.  The Laguna can turn a 16 inch bowl on the outboard side...which excites me.  With that said, has anyone have an experience with a Laguna lathe...?  

I have a Delta 46-460 and love it but no experience with the Laguna.  With any small lathe special attention should be paid to the motor.  The motors can get hot because of their controller types.  They are DC motors can get hot in a hurry turning large bowls.  It is natural for the design.  All the lathes work well but which ever you pick just take a break when they heat up and they will last longer.  Adding a small computer sized cooling fan is a worthy upgrade too.

13 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Not really, had a friend that had one a few years but he died since then.  I am going to Highland Hardware in Atlanta next week, will inquire of those guys.  They seem to always give good advice on tool decisions.  

Thanks very much...it is certainly appreciated.  Look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Pauley, thank you for inquiring about the Laguna Midi Lathe. Yes, Laguna is one of our sponsors, and they have been fantastic with our community and all the support they have given in the past and into the future we hope!

So, a Laguna Midi, that is really cool Pauley. Look, I can only comment on the lathe I have, which is a different class, I have the Laguna 16-42 lathe which is a bigger lathe. And I am not really a turner, I can turn spindles and that's about it. So my baseline of information is not as valuable as say an experienced turner like @lew, or @Gerald, or @Steve Krumanaker are. What I can say about my lathe is it does everything I have asked of it, and the variable speed I like a lot. I know that is not much information. I also like the bed length, since I enjoy building chairs, I can turn a full 40" spindle for the rear chair legs.

So now that you know you are more than likely a waaaay more experienced turner than I, and my lathe isn't comparable, the most I can do for you is talk about Laguna Tools.

I do have a horse in the game so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt, since Laguna Tools are a supporter of ours. Torben and Catherine Helshoj, the husband and wife owners of Laguna Tools are great folks, they love our country, they love our veterans, and that is why they support us in all we do. Now that being said, I have had opportunities to deal with Laguna customer service, and all my experiences have been fine, and speedy. There are folks out there that have had less desirable instances with Laguna customer service, but I am not sure why or what the circumstances where.. Customer service anywhere is like anything, if a customer is dead set on being angry, there isn't much a CS rep can do, if a customer is open and patient with possible resolutions, then the experience is far better.

Also, come to think of it, for a couple years in a row, we had some fundraisers for veterans families, and the Helshoj's donated the Mid Lathe for a couple years in a row for those fundraiser projects, and I do remember the recipients of those lathes seemed pretty happy with their performance.

Before you pull the trigger Pauley on any lathe, I'd like to ask you to give me a couple days. I'd like to get some more information on this, please.

John

9 hours ago, John Morris said:

Pauley, thank you for inquiring about the Laguna Midi Lathe. Yes, Laguna is one of our sponsors, and they have been fantastic with our community and all the support they have given in the past and into the future we hope!

So, a Laguna Midi, that is really cool Pauley. Look, I can only comment on the lathe I have, which is a different class, I have the Laguna 16-42 lathe which is a bigger lathe. And I am not really a turner, I can turn spindles and that's about it. So my baseline of information is not as valuable as say an experienced turner like @lew, or @Gerald, or @Steve Krumanaker are. What I can say about my lathe is it does everything I have asked of it, and the variable speed I like a lot. I know that is not much information. I also like the bed length, since I enjoy building chairs, I can turn a full 40" spindle for the rear chair legs.

So now that you know you are more than likely a waaaay more experienced turner than I, and my lathe isn't comparable, the most I can do for you is talk about Laguna Tools.

I do have a horse in the game so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt, since Laguna Tools are a supporter of ours. Torben and Catherine Helshoj, the husband and wife owners of Laguna Tools are great folks, they love our country, they love our veterans, and that is why they support us in all we do. Now that being said, I have had opportunities to deal with Laguna customer service, and all my experiences have been fine, and speedy. There are folks out there that have had less desirable instances with Laguna customer service, but I am not sure why or what the circumstances where.. Customer service anywhere is like anything, if a customer is dead set on being angry, there isn't much a CS rep can do, if a customer is open and patient with possible resolutions, then the experience is far better.

Also, come to think of it, for a couple years in a row, we had some fundraisers for veterans families, and the Helshoj's donated the Mid Lathe for a couple years in a row for those fundraiser projects, and I do remember the recipients of those lathes seemed pretty happy with their performance.

Before you pull the trigger Pauley on any lathe, I'd like to ask you to give me a couple days. I'd like to get some more information on this, please.

John

Thanks John.  One of the questions I have about the Revo1216 is the motor.  Someone here mentioned they get hot after turning for about an hour.  As a disabled veteran, I spend a lot of time in my shop doing turnings...so that is a concern of mine.  Having a Nova Comet II lathe for about 3 or 4 years, I’ve had to replace the motor twice.  I thought that was a bit unusual..again thank you and I do look forward to any other info you may obtain.

From everything I've read the new Revo 12/16, from Laguna, is an awesome machine. I seriously considered it in my quest for a new lathe. The only drawback- for me- was the distance between the centers. Even with a bed extension, it's too short for some of the things I do. What excited me about that particular lathe was the reported power at low speeds.

13 minutes ago, lew said:

From everything I've read the new Revo 12/16, from Laguna, is an awesome machine. I seriously considered it in my quest for a new lathe. The only drawback- for me- was the distance between the centers. Even with a bed extension, it's too short for some of the things I do. What excited me about that particular lathe was the reported power at low speeds.

I feel the same way about the Revo 12/16.  I turn mostly bowls and such.  On my Nova Comet II I have the bed extension which gives me about 38 or 39 inches, but haven’t used it at all.  The fact that I can turn up to a 16 inch bowl on the Revo made me very interested in it.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:31 PM, RustyFN said:

I have a Rikon 12 by 21 VS. I like it a lot. There is still a belt with three pulleys but I found the center pulleys give me the hi's and low's I want and don't have to change the belt much. It has a 12.5 inch swing and 21 inches long.

Right now, I have a Nova Comet II which is much like your Rikon as far as the size of the lathe.  The Laguna Revo 12/16 you can turn up to a 16 inch bowl on the outboard side.  That is what makes me excited about getting one.  However, I’ve read a lot of reviews and some have complained about the motor running very hot and that makes me concerned.  

5 hours ago, Pauley said:

Right now, I have a Nova Comet II which is much like your Rikon as far as the size of the lathe.  The Laguna Revo 12/16 you can turn up to a 16 inch bowl on the outboard side.  That is what makes me excited about getting one.  However, I’ve read a lot of reviews and some have complained about the motor running very hot and that makes me concerned.  

I understand. I would also like to be able to turn larger bowls but can't. 

14 hours ago, RustyFN said:

I have been looking online and saw a Grizzly 16 by 24 VS lathe. We had some Grizzly tools where I used to work and they were built very well. Never had a problem with them. The Grizzly lathe is $1595. 

That would be to big for my tiny shop, but I appreciate the heads up on that.